trishg1

just for fun- let's make a list of math games
Old 08-05-2012, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

fraction, decimal and percent UNO
http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=415883

Make 10 (adding decimals)
http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=421244

Order of operation dominoes- I created dominoes with craft sticks. I chose 5-6 numbers (ie 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15) and created 3 or 4 expressions to equal each number. The expression is written on one end of the stick, and the answer to another expression on the other. There are other games on this link
http://love4thgrade.blogspot.com/sea...gebra+dominoes

Snake- I have blank place value charts in plastic sleeves. Student roll a die and place the number in a column of their choice. The goal is to make the highest or lowest number possible.

Target Card- using a deck of cards: students flip 6 cards, the first five are the operators and the 6th is the target. Students use order of operations to reach the target card. To score I make them write it down, and they get 1 point for each operation, so the more complex the expression, the more points they can earn.

trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 08-11-2012, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For young ones...
They each have a deck of cards and the face cards and 10 are removed. (Index cards would work easily, and they could make those themselves!) I made a 100 frame (and 1000 frame for later in first grade) with the spaces the size of cards for each child.

They have their cards face down in front of them and draw 3, placing them on the frame to match my instructions...Make the lowest number you can...or...Make the highest number you can. They then look around at their neighbor's frame and see who has the lowest/highest, then raise their hand to tell me their number if they think they've won that round. The slower students will always think they have won and I allow them to read their number aloud to everybody, too. Anybody can read their number aloud and many want to at the very first, but quickly learn that they didn't win, so there's no need to vocalize their number. The slower students keep wanting to tell their number and I let them. Before long, they get the idea and learn if they really are highest/lowest and don't want to vocalize their number as much. It's so fun to see the slower ones 'get it'.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote