Help

Visual & Performing Arts

Ideas needed for creative music 4th - 6th

>

hab

Ideas needed for creative music 4th - 6th
Old 08-16-2007, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a new Creative Music teacher in grades K - 6th. My school has never had music class before. I am in great need of ideas for fun things to do with my older grades (4 - 6). Anyone have any ideas for games, dance videos, cd's, dvd's, etc that will keep my students entertained for 30 minutes. I have nothing at the moment, not even a cd player!! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

hab is offline   Reply With Quote

dolmansaxlil

Old 08-18-2007, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did great music warm up game with my 4/5s when I taught music. It reinforces the "beat" concept. Let's see if I can describe it.
You need large pompoms (I made my own), and music of varying time signatures and tempos.

Everyone sits in a circle. When we first did this, I started the music and had the kids find the rhythm by patting one open hand on the floor on the beat. Once everyone was on the beat, you have them alternate between patting in front of them on one beat and in front of the person to the left on the alternating beats. So 1(self) 2(left) 3(self) 4(left). Once they've got that down (or they've had some practice!) you can introduce the pom poms. While they're "patting" the beat, put a pom pom in front of a person, timed so the person to their right (the one patting their hand in front of them) end up grabbing it. On the next beat, they'll move the pom pom to in front of them. Then the next person to the right will, on the next beat, grab the pom pom. (This is so hard to explain!) The pom pom will naturally travel around the circle as the kids pat out the beat. Once they've got it, toss in another pom pom (or 2 or 3!)

Once they've got the feel for that beat, change the music to something faster or slower or whatever. It'll take them a bit to find the beat again.

Once they knew the activity well, I used to do things like make them move the pom pom the other direction (so instead of grabbing it from the person on the left and putting it in front of you, you grab it from in front of you and move it to the person on the left).

When they had THAT down, I'd start pom poms going both ways.

It's such an easy activity, but a great warmup. We did it as a warm up for a whole term, and the kids stayed engaged. As time went on, I made sure to choose music that was familiar, fun, or that they could sing along with to keep it interesting.
dolmansaxlil is offline   Reply With Quote