need ideas for whole class art project

>

Closed Thread

kim2teach2nd

kim2teach2nd

need ideas for whole class art project
Old 01-30-2008, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

All of the classes at my school have been asked to do art projects that involve their whole class that can be donated to the PTA to be auctioned as a fundraiser. They only want one project from each class like a large collage, quilt, mosaic, etc. Does anyone have an idea of what I can do with my 2nd graders? I'm mostly used to having my class do projects where each child does his/her own or we do a class book for writing.

mamabear

auction ideas
Old 02-01-2008, 01:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

hmmmm this sounds really hard.
How about each student get a favorite recipe from home, and put together some type of a class recipe book? Or purchase a basket or container kids can decorate and fill with jars of beans, macaroni, cookies mixes/soup mixes. The kids could help fill them with the ingredients and write out a recipe to go with them?
A teacher at our school had students make stepping stones one year for mothers day. The kids loved making them, and they were all unique. Maybe you could have kids pair up and you could make several?
Or purchase a large picture frame and have students decorate the frame using inexpensive items, buttons, old jewelry etc. Put class photo inside.
Have seen table tops and trivets covered with mosaic made from broken china, glasses, etc.
Not sure if these will work, but hope you get some ideas from this.
Good luck

tammych

Old 02-01-2008, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My daughters preschool did a quilt one year. Each student decorated a square with their name and a picture or design. They might have added a class picture (can't remember)
I know that we all wanted to win and bid high for it.
You would need a volunteer to put it all together for you.
I'lll keep thinking about it.

Kermit

Old 02-02-2008, 12:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Some of the projects our classes have done:

-hand painted tiles laid into a framed mirror or table top
-hand painted kids furniture (table and chairs or toy chest) often done by having kids do hand prints or decoupage colored copies of kids art or something, hand made stamps also work
-copper or tin art in a frame. Kids can do punched tin and lay that into a framed art piece, or they can do drawings on copper. I have seen these laid into a piece of furniture like a cupboard or something also.
- print art on fabric which can be made into throw pillows, a wall hanging, a blanket, etc. (just styrofoam prints work well if you do it with fabric paint)
-hand made checker or chess set. Have the kids make clay pieces for a set. This was done one year for checkers with those little flat glass marble things. They are the large size, like 1 inch in diameter. The kids create art and it is shrunk and color copied. You then glue it to the bottom of the glass thing and it has this cool effect. Abstract works well too. They can also make these and do a collage for around a mirror or something. http://www.save-on-crafts.com/cleargems.html here is a link to the glass things I'm talking about...

Once we did the same thing but then put them on terra cotta pots and did some grouting around the tops. They are beautiful!

-Have the kids all do a still life of something simple, like a kind of fruit on black paper with oil pastels. Create a large piece of framed art with it.
-we've also done the stepping stones
- we did kid art decoupaged behind glass plates as a dinner set. They looked really nice.
- hand painted dishes (not so nice unless the kids are older or given a theme of some kind-- like limiting colors)
- fused glass (you have to find an artist to do this with you to burn the glass, but it is super easy for the part the kids do.) The fused glass can then be made into a mobile sculpture, a centerpiece, into a frame, etc.
- coffee table books with photos and poems by the kids (let the kids take photos of their favorite places at school, or of nature, something like that...) The framed art also goes with the project. iPhoto has a book ordering program and they will make a nice book if you send the photos.
-Have the kids do some simple line drawings, then get someone to make stickers with them on the computer. Stick the stickers onto a vase, bowl or something and do frosting over it. When you peel the stickers off you have an etched glass vase with kids art on it.

Hope this helps!
Suzi F.

Suzi F.

5th Grade Teacher
Old 03-26-2008, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have a similar auction every year. This year I had the kids form the alphabet using their bodies. I took pictures of each "letter" and then bought 4 X 6 inch clip frames. We mounted the letters to make words such as "dream", "peace" etc. on varnished yard sticks. It was a cool project, and I use those letters all the time for cards etc.
Each of my kids have a number we use on papers and that I use to randomly call on them. I gave each of them some Sculpy clay and had them make a representation of their number. Number 5 did hers like a snake, number 12 made a dozen eggs, number 20 did roman numerals. Some just did silly or fun numbers. In the end, we baked them, painted them and mounted them on 4 X 4 inch boards which we mounted on a larger board. It was beautiful and went for $700 at auction. Good luck!