Help

Visual & Performing Arts

Need advice from current art teachers

>

ashb70

Need advice from current art teachers
Old 04-17-2006, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently working as a substitute teacher and I really want to go back to college and get my teaching degree. My ideal teaching job would be to teach art (not completely sure what grades--I've only subbed in Elem. so far). My question is: Do most of you who teach art have an art degree with a teaching certificate or a Teaching degree with a specialty in art? For job security and 'hirability' I was just wondering what the better route would be.

ashb70 is offline   Reply With Quote

artteacher

artteacher

elementary teacher
Old 04-17-2006, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

a teaching degree with a specialty in art, would be best for teaching elementary. i have a bachelor of arts degree AND a Master's degree in art. all of that is well and good, but doesn't really help you to learn how to teach children. It does help on the pay-scale though....

and p.s.
getting a Master's degree in Art also gives you liberty to teach at any univerisity as a Professor of Art.

good luck.

Jenny

art teacher
Old 04-24-2006, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you were able to decide which level you want to teach I would try talking to some principals/teachers in your area to see what they would reccomend.
Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote

styer

not to rain on your parade, but...
Old 05-08-2006, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am also a current sub with a BFA and an MAT, and I just thought I should warn you as a colleague- it is REALLY hard to get an art teaching position! There just aren't many openings out there, so it's very competetive. Depending on your state, there are different degree requirements. NY and PA require a Masters of Teaching. Other states only require a Bachelors in Art Teaching. Every state will make you pay to be fingerprinted and certified in their state, and you must take their exams usually. It's a huge decision, and it's a very long process getting hired. Many certified people with their masters end up either subbing for a number of years before being hired, or moving to big cities to take positions.
styer is offline   Reply With Quote

Rimbaud810

I have to agree
Old 05-12-2006, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi,

I have to agree with the previous poster. Art education jobs are hard to get, good art education jobs are very hard to get. I got a BS in education with a major in art education in 1999. I am certified in K-12 and have certifications in other areas. I am currently subbing but I moved from my state to teach for a few years. I got some great experience in some not-so-great schools. I've done a ton of afterschool, volunteer, and art workshops when I wasn't teaching to keep busy.

Honestly, I don't know if knowing what I know now, if I would have gone into art edu. I am so sick of subbing and it is hard to even get one interview in my area. Sorry, I wish I could be more encouraging

Rimbaud810 is offline   Reply With Quote

jillywilly75

no elementary art here
Old 06-20-2006, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Also, check with the community(s) you would be willing to teach art and see if they even HAVE elementary art teachers! I have wanted to teach elementary art for SO long, and my county has never had art in grades K-5. I was always told "just wait....we will be getting this soon" but it never happened. I have just been offered a wonderful K-5 art teaching position in a town close by. They are actually a much smaller, rural town, but they has been given special funding for a full time art teacher. Check things out first!
jillywilly75 is offline   Reply With Quote

jillywilly75

And furthermore....
Old 06-20-2006, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I just found out today that in MY county where I have wanted to teach elementary art for so long that a para-pro has been given a classroom to teach art all year long. I know of another elementary school in this same community that does that. Is that legal? I know these are both wonderful, capable art teachers, but they are not certified and are not being paid teacher pay. I KNOW what para professionals earn, and it is NOT fair to THEM to do all the work of a full time teacher, yet get paid their small paycheck. If I were them I think I would demand more pay than a parapro that is not doing the same type of full time teaching job. See...I would have NEVER gotten the teaching job in this town because the way they are "twisting" the rules! Sorry - just feel hot around the collar.
jillywilly75 is offline   Reply With Quote