Help

Visual & Performing Arts

Theatre Activities

>

Broadway

Theatre Activities
Old 06-27-2008, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This will be my first year to teach Theatre at the 6th-8th grade level. I am looking for fun, creative ideas to teach. If you have any good ideas or know of any great websites, please let me know.
Thanks!

Broadway is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

If you'll be putting on plays
Old 07-06-2008, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I really recommend Pioneer Drama Service. We have done, from them:

Twinderella (musical)
Unhappily Ever After (musical)
Tongue Twisted
Anchors Aweigh!

These are professional plays, written specifically for middle schoolers, running from $350-up. We put on a dinner theatre every fall, which generates the money for our spring play. We do a musical every other spring.

We have been at this long enough, that this year, for the first time, we are starting the year with enough money already for our fall play (we get no budget from the district. We've raised our entire budget).

For any performance, if you have all kids bring individually wrapped baked goods, you can sell them back to parents at the show at exorbitant prices. Dessert carts are a HUGE moneymaker. My school also has a popcorn machine, a cute little cart, and we sell popcorn at $1 a small bag. We made out like bandits!

After four years of running a middle school drama club, I can honestly say that fundraising is as big a part of the job as directing.
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote