Visual & Performing Arts

Musical "Production"

>

Desperate

Desperate

Musical "Production"
Old 02-27-2008, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The music teacher at my former school used to purchase musical productions. They came with scripts, songs, cds, etc.

Anyone know where I can find these productions or what I should search for? I'm turning up a whole lot of nothing.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give me.

Liamsma@aol

Liamsma@aol

musicals with everything included
Old 03-22-2008, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi,

Pioneer drama has everything you need to do a musical and has fun choices. Also, playscripts inc. com is good as well.

jenstuff

Pioneer Drama is awesome!
Old 03-22-2008, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I too use Pioneer Drama for almost all of my productions. You can also try bad wolf press (great for a younger crew) and and Children's theater plays if it doesn't have to be a musical.
jenstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

SanDiego3rd

Try Broadway Jr...
Old 04-20-2008, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

http://www.broadwayjr.com/default_HOME.asp
SanDiego3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

Dhallivi

Scripts
Old 07-07-2008, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I LOVE Pioneer drama.
I've done Twinderella and The Big Bad Musical. Next year we're doing one of the Oz musicals (the shorter one). www.pioneerdrama.com
You can listen to clips of songs for free online and order a sample package for around $20 with three different scripts and sampler CDs. The price of the package can be credited to your final purchase if you buy shortly thereafter.

In the past, we've purchased from MTI. They provide a very comprehensive package including scripts, CD, DVD of choreography, librettos (I think), score and director's notes. Great if you are stressed out about the whole thing.

I think they cost about $500 for the entire package for the school year. Personally, I didn't like it because you signed all these contracts saying you wouldn't mess with anything and it is sortof... director-proof. I like the freedom to be creative and create my own vision of a production.

Dhallivi is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

dhvalli
Old 07-07-2008, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We did Twinderella too! Wasn't that awesome? It was so good! We also really, really loved Anchors Aweigh, if you're interested in one of Pioneer's really good non-musical ones.

And I agree; Pioneer is pretty easy to work with. As long as you credit them on your posters, etc. and keep it to the two nights you paid for, they're easy.
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Dhallivi

Maryteach
Old 07-08-2008, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Wasn't Twinderella a blast?? We had this short blond boy playing opposite a tall brunette girl. When they looked at each other and said, (very sarcastically) "Its like looking into a mirror!" everyone roared! It was the first Pioneer Drama production we did, with The Big Bad Musical second. Some kids didn't audition for BB because they thought it was sort of kid-ish. However, once they saw the production or heard from their friends in the cast, their view quickly changed.

We have to do a musical. Not that I mind, I love musicals. Our music/drama teacher handles the musical direction and I cover the acting portion, as well as logistical issues.
I work at a school that specializes in the expressive arts, so by the time kids are in 4th grade, they've had 5 years of dance and drama.

Another thing I like about Pioneer: I called because we want to do the shorter version of Oz! but liked some of the solos from the longer version. They said we could use the songs for about $15 a performance. After we cast, we'll take a look at who we've cast in the lead roles and then decide if we should purchase the extra songs. Its great because in the past, we haven't been able to cast some wonderful actors due to their singing ability.

At one point, I asked them about video recording and playing over our local TV station. They said we could, it would only be the cost of one more performance. I even explained we might not have control over how many times the local station played it. Things might have changed of course...Either way, they get kudos from me for being the easiest to work with.
Cost wise, I think they run about the same as MTI once you include the cost of scripts, etc., but I don't feel so restricted.
These are the qualities I have found I like when I choose productions:
1) Variety of songs (mix of genre, etc.)
2) One ballad (To have that Awwww moment)
3) A comedy that is written so adults will enjoy the show and humor, regardless of the fact their adorable child is in the cast
4) The ability to go with simple sets (We've never done that, but if we had to, I'd like to know we could!)
5) Lots of things for "chorus" to be

Big Bad had very, very little time when students were off stage. I think the most was in the beginning for about 5 minutes. Otherwise, they were on for the whole thing.

I'm not sure how legal this was, but we had a shortage of guys. We changed one role (The Old Shepard) into Little Bo Peep. It worked great for the script. I was surprised they hadn't thought of that one themselves! We also added a boy to the Wolfettes and called them "Wolf's Entourage."
Obviously, I could talk about this stuff for hours....
What are you doing this year?
Dhallivi is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

We haven't chosen yet
Old 07-08-2008, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We're getting together this month to decide. It's just the choir teacher and me. We just did Unhappily Ever After in May. It was super easy to put on--only one set! You do need a strong female vocalist to do Sleeping Beauty, though.

We absolutely loved Anchors Aweigh! It's not a musical, but if you're in the market for a real crowd-pleaser, without music, check it out. The jokes are pretty hilarious.

We do a musical every other spring, so this school year, it's a fall and a spring play, no musical. But I'm sure we'll get them from Pioneer!
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote