Visual & Performing Arts

Native American Homes and Art

>

stacerz4life

Native American Homes and Art
Old 07-15-2008, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,

I'm writing a unit plan on Native American homes. I have to write 4 lesson plans in the following subjects: social studies, language arts and the arts. I'm unsure of what to do for my arts lesson. Does anyone have any ideas of how to do this? My professor thinks I should use balance, unity and harmony since they are conceps that NJ says 4th graders should understand. Any ideas on this?

For my LA lesson, I'm thinking of having the students write a story about a house they would build and where they would build in. Describing the resources they would use-they have to be natural resources. And then maybe make a poster showing this. My professor said that the poster was too much, and to use it for the arts lesson. I'd rather have them actually make a house for the arts lesson. But I don't know how to teach the art concepts since I've never had any art training.

Thanks in advance!
Stacey

stacerz4life is offline   Reply With Quote

jillywilly75

Balance, unity, harmony
Old 07-17-2008, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A good art lesson with these concepts would be to design a "rawhide" using Native American symbols. I have students take a brown grocery bag (if you can still find these) cut or tear out an irregular large piece of the bag, then crumple it in your hands to give it the "texture" of worn animal hide. Students can use paint or markers to put their own "invented" symbols on the hide showing balance, unity, and harmony in their creation. You could actually research (or have students research) actual symbols used by Native Americans and discuss what their symbols mean.
jillywilly75 is offline   Reply With Quote

acts123

paper bags
Old 07-17-2008, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

that is what I do with my students while studying Native Californians. I have them use their textbooks to refer to images of actual rawhides and drawings, then they use oil pastels on the paper bags. After the art, they write a few sentences in their packets explaining what they drew.
acts123 is offline   Reply With Quote

stacerz4life

Great ideas!
Old 07-20-2008, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks so much. I was reallly stuggling with this part.
stacerz4life is offline   Reply With Quote