Help

Visual & Performing Arts

Cross Post- Art Journal

>

Rudyrudes

Cross Post- Art Journal
Old 08-12-2008, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, I am going to be delevering a lot of prep to one teacher this fall. I will be teaching her grade 8's Social, Health, French, and arts.Ed (drama, music, dance strands only). Because I have so much time with her class though, we added on half an hour of LA a week as well. We figured I could use this time to create some kind of journal or use it for responses towards work we did in Arts.ed.
I am working out something right now that involved keeping a response journal as well as creating an art journal.
The response journal I was thinking could be just a simple notebook in which students will write either exit slips, responses to particular activities we did in class, interpreting music lyrics, writing poetry, or other various repsonses that I would assign to them. I would also every now and then allow them to freestyle about anything they wanted to as long as the topic pertained to art in one way or another (state their opinion on graffiti as art, talk about their favorite musician, write about a play they saw, write a letter to a famous artisit.. etc)
The art journal I figured would be strictly student created. I was going to have each student collect pictures from either magazines or personal photos and keep them in a dossier. These pictures would serve as inpspiration for not only the art they would create, but also what they would write about. If a student was stumped as to what to write about, they could take a look through their pictures, and hopefully feel insipred by one of them. I would show them a few examples of what art journals look like just to give them an idea and have them realize that really, the possibilities are endless. For this journal, the students would choose what they want to write about and how they want to write it, however, they would also have to produce some kind of visual art into the pages of the journal and their writing. I was planning on taking one class for drafting and brainstorming, the next class would be some in class time to start working on their entry, and then the final draft would be due the next week.
Finally, I had intentions of them writing a review on some kind of performance art piece, visual art show, or movie.
So far I have the assignements divided as so:
Art Journal 40
Creativity 10
Journal 25
Performance art review 10
Oral presentation 5
Effort & Participation 10

I would like any critiques on this idea as I have never done this before! Has anyone done anything else similar to this and can offer me some insight? Is this going to work? Is this going to bomb?
TIA!

Rudyrudes is offline   Reply With Quote