Bulletin Boards & Classroom Themes

Around the World Theme?

>

Kaela13

Kaela13

Around the World Theme?
Old 04-02-2010, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I will be starting my first year of full time teaching next August. I will have K-4 so I was trying to think of theme that would work for that age span. I thought of doing an "Around the World" theme using maps, flags ect. Maybe making "passports" for each child where they can collect stamps for accomplishments throughout the year. Has anyone done a theme like this or have any more ideas? Any suggestions would be great!

rideacloud

Around the World Theme
Old 04-02-2010, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think that is a wonderful idea!!!! I have not done an around the world theme before but I think it is important for our students to all feel welcome. Also, the more ideas you can get from the kids, the better. Let them add their own experiences from "around the world." If you have students that have moved from other countries or even states let them add info about that. If you can get them into the project then it will go great. Good Luck!!!
rideacloud is offline   Reply With Quote

teachmebooks

Just a thought...
Old 04-02-2010, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am hooked on using "scene setters" from party supply stores. Maybe you could get one or two and cut them for your BB. Also, I took little pics of my students and we made a "Travel Card" like a passport, but for kids. In it, it had all their info (2nd grade) and a secret password that their parents could help them come up with. If someone were to ask them to go with them and they were a stranger, they could look at their travel card and double check their info.
teachmebooks is offline   Reply With Quote

NewTeacher08

A great way to include everyone!
Old 04-07-2010, 01:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I really like this idea! Its such a neat way to make everyone feel welcome and to introduce the students to other cultures!

I replied to another teacher on this forum who wanted to do a similar theme. I've pasted my response to her on here for you!

*Compasses! If you have round tables as opposed to desks, you could hot glue a compass to the center of each table. The seats could be identified as North, South, East and West. You can get 144 mini ones from OrientalTrading.com for $7.99!

*You could purchase/make small flags for various countries around the world. You could line the tops of your walls with them!

*Each week you could spend some time learning about a different culture. Maybe at the beginning of class each day, show a picture of that culture or share an interesting fact about them. On Friday, you could prepare and bring in a dish from that culture for the students to sample or play a game from the culture etc.

*I found these books online on another teaching website, check these out and see what you think:
1. Around the World in 100 years
2. Scholastic Atlas of Exploration
3. Explorers Who Got Lost
4. The Usborne Book of Explorers
5. Portraits of Outstanding Explorers (Great back to school book for your theme!)

*Fanny Packs!!! You could keep one at each table as opposed to table bins for their supplies! Since many people used (Maybe some still do, lol!) while traveling!

*Purchase some old/vintage suitcases. Have the students decorate them (graffiti style) the first day of school and set them up around your room. You could use them as storage boxes for supplies etc. You could get some stickers with country/city names to put on them too! Hobby Lobby has lots of these stickers!

*Collect postcards/brochures from various places. Ask the other staff members to do the same over the summer. Have a bin for these!

*A teacher at my school is making her classroom door look like a time machine door....

*Flashlights are something else you could decorate with

* You could purchase outback style hats (Hobby Lobby) and allow the kids to decorate them during the first week. They could wear them during this portion of your class! (I am doing the same thing with aprons in my science class).

If I think of anymore, I'll post! Hope this helps!
NewTeacher08 is offline   Reply With Quote