Help

Bulletin Boards & Classroom Themes

need a theme for an all girl class

>

bugeyes

need a theme for an all girl class
Old 04-15-2010, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will have an all girl first grade class next year! Im trying to think of a very cute, girly theme! I can find a little bit of different things that I like but I want it all to flow! I dont think my safari stuff will work! Any ideas to help get me jump started would be great!

bugeyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Angel1977

Dolphins
Old 04-15-2010, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know you are looking for a girly theme but this works for both girls and boys. Dolphins! I usually start the year by teaching them about dolphins. They are a family (pod), work together, are smart, play, invent, protect each other, take turns, swim in a line, etc. My class loves it! I have a dolphin stuffed animal that they take home on the weekends when they are superstar and write about it. I use "dolphin jobs" for job chart. There is a lot you can do with this theme. Good luck!
Angel1977 is offline   Reply With Quote

cdeteacher

Girl Power
Old 04-16-2010, 02:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had an all girl class three years ago (and loved it!). Our theme was "Girl Power". In my classroom I used neon pink. There were a few other neon colors in there. We even had pink shirts made up that said "Girl Power" and had a cute graphic. Anytime we saw a woman of "power" we would yell out Girl Power! The teacher across the hall had all boys so we would get into friendly battles . It was so much fun! I would love to do it again some day!
cdeteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach4

Girl Them
Old 04-16-2010, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If it was me, I would probably do a Fancy Nancy theme. I think there are so many things you could do with that. Everything could have a "fancy" name - jobs would be occupations, your daily schedule could be "itinerary" and so on. . .

You could have a Fancy Nancy Fancy Words word wall.

You could decorate with sparkly stick-on "gems" and feather boas. Have a special spot with all the books. . .

I'm sure I could think of more ideas but that's what I have off the top of my head.
Teach4 is offline   Reply With Quote

eduk8ur

Polka dots
Old 04-16-2010, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

A polka dot theme would be a good one. Walmart has all kinds of pink with brown dots & brown with pink dots. Lime green with pink/ pink with lime green. Teachersclubhouse has a lot of downloadable dot themed stuff.

eduk8ur is offline   Reply With Quote

dolphinlover

Old 04-16-2010, 08:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I second polka dots. I am going to be doing that next year for the second year with boys and girls. I have not had complaints this year and I LOVE the colors/effects. I bought the Dots on Chocolate stuff from Creative Press and have gotten a lot of compliments.
dolphinlover is offline   Reply With Quote

luvelementary

Old 04-16-2010, 08:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I like the idea that the above poster had of Fancy Nancy! I can see endless possibilities for that one!
luvelementary is offline   Reply With Quote

Gr8*Teacher

Love the FANCY NANCY idea...
Old 04-17-2010, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

endless ideas! Be sure to pick-up all of her books for your "Book Nook!" Lots of pink, sparkle and crowns.

Flowers and/or polka-dots also. Your only concern might be....girls that are NOT girly! How did you get an all girls classroom? I have 17 boys this year and 8 girls....yes, it is as challenging as it seems!!!! I have some great boys, but half of them are naughty, aggressive, constantly in motion, and could care less about school work. Be sure to let us know what you decide on and share some pictures.
Gr8*Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

bugeyes

Old 04-18-2010, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

love the ideas! thanks so much! We are piloting it at our school! I will have all girls another teacher will have all boys and the rest will be mixed! It will be quite a change I understand what you are going thru I promise I have 6 girls and 14 boys this year and my boys are the same way!

Also I read that one of you had done this before, I would appreciate any cute things you and the teacher with all boys did together or as competition! Or any advice you may have!

hailbysmom

All girls theme
Old 04-25-2010, 03:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have had an all girls class for the past 2 years and one of my best themes were bugs/garden...I know it sounds like boys,but this one had mostly ladybugs, butterflies, and flowers. We had a garden of manners(rules), Buggy for reading (our reading area), and I had butterflies (3-d fabric) hanging from all over the ceiling above the girls heads. I bought inexpensive flowering vines from Dollar Tree and used them to outline our bulletin boards. I too like the Fancy Nancy theme also. Good luck with the all girls class!

hailbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

uscgal

all girls
Old 05-18-2010, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I too teach an all girls class - kindergarten. Be careful though - you don't want to stereo-type. Not all girls like pink and princesses. I for one can't stand pink. I do my room in warm colors - which girl's brains lean towards. My theme last year was garden and insects - with mainly sunflowers and insects,butterflies, frogs and ladybugs. This year was a rainforest. I'm not sure about next year yet. But in all the single gender trainings I've had it reinforces no stereotypes. I love the polka dots and stuff though. Maybe let your girls do a survey and put the room together as a class
uscgal is offline   Reply With Quote

bugeyes

Old 05-18-2010, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

thanks! Any thing you suggest for us (the girl with all boys and I) to read or any sites that you have found helpful!? This is new for us!

chokeddaisies

American Girl
Old 05-26-2010, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

It might be kind of neat for an all girls class to focus on American Girl, the book series. It ties in Social Studies and has movies to go along with it.
chokeddaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

bbrewer28

theme
Old 06-26-2010, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

LOTS of bright pink and polka dots....I would love to do my room like that! My boys would hate it though lol
bbrewer28 is offline   Reply With Quote