Help

Math & Science

Times Tables

>

Win3teach

Times Tables
Old 06-22-2012, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have many 5th and 6th graders that come in not knowing their basic multiplication facts. What are some strategies/incentives/ideas that everyone uses? Our kids are very far behind in math, so I want to get those out of the way at the beginning of the year!

Win3teach is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 06-22-2012, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Skip counting songs. There are several free ones online.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

tigmil

understanding
Old 06-23-2012, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My first step would be to see if they actually understand multiplication. When they see 3X4, what does that mean? They should realize that 3 times 4 means 3 groups of 4, or3 bunches of 4. They should be able to draw a picture of it or set up counters to show it. If they do not understand the meaning of multiplication, they will not benefit from simply memorizing a bunch of facts.
tigmil is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 06-23-2012, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The PP made me think of something.
When I write the X in an equation, I say 'sets' when I draw \ and 'of' when I draw /.
So, 3 x 4 is read and written...3 sets( \ ) of( /) 4. They quickly get it.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Xtramath
Old 06-24-2012, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

online is free and supposed to be very good at building fluency. Maybe it will be helpful to your students as well.

1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

teachn10

12 x 12 grid
Old 07-03-2012, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I too, start the year off with 5th graders who do not know their multiplication facts. I have them fill out a 12 x 12 grid, placing an X in the top left corner and filling in numbers 2 -12 across and down. Later on in the year, I start to make it a competition to who can fill it out the quickest. They love to fill these out, and they are memorizing their facts.
teachn10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Irishmom

Learning Multiplication Facts
Old 07-03-2012, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Using a regular multiplication grid to fill in does not help them truly learn math facts. Last year I tried something different that really helped my 4th graders learn their multiplication facts. I used the Five Minute Frenzy sheets from math-drills dot com. My goal was to learn not stress out. What is nice about the five minute frenzy grids is they are not a regular multiplication grid because both the top numbers and the side numbers are all mixed up. I had a five minute timer on my Promethean and they also had a regular grid with all the answers. The goal was to see how many they could do each day. The key part of this plan is that they were encouraged to look up the answers that they didn't know. Their goal was to do more than they did the day before AND it was OK if they are not very good at first AND it was OK if they had to look most of them up. The kids kept track of their progress in the backs of their math notebooks. They would write down the date and how many problems they did. Pretty soon they realized they didn't need the answer grid anymore. All of my kids saw amazing progress, because pretty soon they weren't relying on the answer grids anymore. The best part is they loved it because it was fun and not so stressful and they got to see how they did immediately. Later in the year I switched to a five minute division sheet every other day and used the same format.
Irishmom is offline   Reply With Quote

roseyw

Old 07-11-2012, 01:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What I did was make them create a board 12x12 and write out the multiplications in a table process, cut that into squares, mix them up, and have a competition to get it back together again. It lets you see who is good, and who needs a little extra help, whilst being fun at the same time.
roseyw is offline   Reply With Quote