Help

Math & Science

Summer Packets

>

NJMath

Summer Packets
Old 07-09-2012, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do any of you give summer math packets to your students? If so, how do you grade them?

We are required to give summer math work in my school for grades 4 - 8, so I just give packets that review some of the core concepts covered in the previous year. In the past I have graded them only on completeness. I do that because I don't know how much of the work the students completed on their own and how much their parents/tutors helped them with so I didn't think it was fair to give someone 100% if their parents helped them with it while someone who did it on their own only gets 80%. At the same time, however, I don't think it's fair to give everyone 100% just for doing it when one student may only have 1 or 2 questions wrong while someone else may have all of them wrong becuase they just rushed through and wrote down any old number.

Basically, I'm just wondering what the best method would be for me to grade the work and am looking forward to hearing from other teachers as to how they go about it. Thanks!

NJMath is offline   Reply With Quote

morningsky

Suggestions
Old 07-10-2012, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach 4th grade and this is the first year we did summer packets. The plan is to spot check them. If we sent 100 problems, maybe choose 20 to grade at random. For those who complete most of the packet accurately they will get to choose a free item from the ice cream truck. A local ice cream truck is coming to the school to help us reward those students.
For your question, perhaps create a short rubric and give points for completion and for accuracy of some of the problems. You don't have to grade every single problem assigned. Would love to hear your thoughts on my suggestions.
morningsky is offline   Reply With Quote

NJMath

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2012, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That sounds like a really good idea (and it's alot less work to only grade a few of the problems). I like the fact that it takes into account completeness and correctness and I love using rubrics to grade things...just never thought about using one for my packets. I am definitely going to come up with one now and try it out this year. Thanks for the suggestion!
NJMath is offline   Reply With Quote