Help

Math & Science

Dropping Everyday Math

>

disneynut

Dropping Everyday Math
Old 07-26-2012, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just found out today that our district is officially not ordering any new EDM math materials for the coming school year. I understand why....the edition of EDM we use no longer fits the requirements of the Common Core.

However, the district is not ordering anything to take the place of EDM. Apparently, the teachers will need to come up with their own materials until a new program is purchased for the 2013-14 school year.

Is anyone else in this position? If so, I would love to hear your thoughts on how you are going to proceed in your math instruction.

TIA

Last edited by disneynut; 07-26-2012 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: Spelling
disneynut is offline   Reply With Quote

jde3399

I am in the same boat...
Old 07-30-2012, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My P came to me during summer school and told me that he wanted us to figure out a way to do math without him having to order new math books this year. I am fine without the books, in fact I think I used 1/6 of the book this past school year because it is soooooo out of date.

We have workshops each summer (which are great for two reasons: we get to plan the entire year out and we get paid for it!) and the math workshop is in two weeks. My team is looking forward to revamping what we started to do last year. We planned the year out, and then we started making our own stuff from other resources we had. We divided up the tasks. Some looked for different hands-on activities, some looked at materials (worksheets, manipulatives, etc.) we had that we could incorporate, and some made up pre and post tests (this was my job). Our district did order us (in november) a new calendar but we weren't given any direction on how to use it so hopefully we will be learning about it and incorporating it as we go.

Also, my goal for last year was to incorporate small groups during math and I really enjoyed it. I will be doing small groups again this year and also adding in math journals as well.

My suggestion would be to look at everything you need to teach this year and, if you haven't done this already-I don't know if you have, plan out your big units, then break the units down into sections. Find activities that fit each of the units.

I have to say, I had more fun this past year because we were given more leeway with what we wanted to teach instead of being tied down to a particular program.

Hope this helps!
jde3399 is offline   Reply With Quote

WESEM

Old 08-03-2012, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

jede3399, Would you be willing to share resources you used during your units?
WESEM is offline   Reply With Quote

jde3399

Wesem
Old 08-04-2012, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach 2nd grade and a lot of the resources we decided to use either came from the mailbox website (I am a member and get a ton of things from there) or materials that were found in our files. I have created some things this summer, not many tho, and gotten ideas from off here or pinterest (I'm addicited to that site ). We are going to create and make a lot of hands-on activities in the workshops coming up in a couple of weeks. I also used a lot more manipulatives (unifx cubes, counting bears, place value mats, dry erase boards, play money, etc.).
jde3399 is offline   Reply With Quote

WESEM

Old 08-04-2012, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you! That gives me some ideas on where to get things from.

WESEM is offline   Reply With Quote

Henry42812

Also dropped Everyday Math
Old 09-11-2012, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We used EDM for quite a few years, and our scores just kept going down. The students were not learning their math facts because they were too dependent on the mult tables that they were allowed to have on their desks all the time, there were not enough word problems in the EDM program, and the struggling students just could NOT keep up with the spiraling. I feel that this is a great program for the brighter students, but a large percentage of our students couldn't keep up with jumping from one concept to another each day.

As you said, EDM also does not align with the Common Core. Over the school year last year, each grade level at my school was given professional development time to work on aligning this year's math curriculum to the common core. We are pulling lessons from multiple (old) math programs we've used in the past (Scott Foresman, EDM, Math Steps, etc.) as well as using many websites we've found to cover the standards.

Instead of buying into a new math series, we've purchased document cameras to project the pages of whatever math book we are using each day onto a whiteboard to use with our students. They are getting a lot of (needed) practice copying problems down onto paper. We are also using Smartboards and Eno-boards to make math more interactive for them (and perhaps less boring!) This is our first year doing this and it will be interesting to see what transpires!

Hope these ideas help a bit!
Henry42812 is offline   Reply With Quote