Help

Math & Science

Everyday Math

>

sbteach06

Everyday Math
Old 08-05-2012, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, I was just wondering how many of your districts use everyday math. I'm asking because I work with high functioning Autistic students and I'm not seeing success with it. We switched 2 years ago so as of now all of my students started math with traditional teach to mastery. Any IDEAS out there???

Last edited by sbteach06; 08-05-2012 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: put on wrong board
sbteach06 is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

Old 08-05-2012, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Before this gets moved. I have used ED math since it first came out as a pilot program, only 1st grade was published!
Like most programs it needs a lot of other lessons to make it successful. I do like their spiral concept, but it has many "bugs" in it that the teachers have to fix. They sometime test items that are not even introduced. The homelinks are not that good. They do not do enough math fact mastery or even with their math messages they do not do enough open ended thinking skills. Their first grade math journals although they have been revised over and over are not at all user friendly. The font, the placement on the page, the charts everything is just not developmentally correct.
We recently did pilots on the new ED math and Think Math. The student resources, student consumable books etc. from Think Math were so well developed. A thing of beauty. The teachers who did the pilot hands down would have selected Think Math, but our supervisor got wind of that and refused to take a vote. She bought ED math again.
We are still wondering why we ever pilot things.
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

Knittykitty1

Everyday math
Old 08-05-2012, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our district has adopted EM for grades K-6. Last year, I taught the 6th grade and this group has had EM since Kindergarten. I can say that since we have used EM our scores for 6th grade have ranged from 85% -98% proficiency including the special education students. Of course, I supplement the program with children's literature, manipulatives and other resources as no one math series is perfect.
Knittykitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote