Help

Visual & Performing Arts

Recycling Theme -Art Mural

>

CoffeePam

Recycling Theme -Art Mural
Old 02-20-2006, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We have a citywide art contest coming up. I could really use some ideas for a mural using recycled materials. Any ideas are welcomed.

CoffeePam is offline   Reply With Quote

homeschl mom

homeschl mom

Loiuse Nevelson
Old 02-20-2006, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For recycled art, we did some fun stuff after studying American artist Louise Nevelson. Do some web searches to see what she did with "found items." She made big things, often out of found things. She liked doing work with metal, but during WWII, metals weren't used for art, they were used for vehicles, weapons, etc. to support the war effort.

Anyway, what we did was go to the Hobby Lobby and we got some wood plaques for a dollar or so each (perhaps they were on sale) but you could use stiff cardboard. Our plaques were probably 9 X 6 inches.

Anyway, we had fun coming up with "found items" that ranged from paper clips and rubber bands to cereal (not flakes but things like Cheerios or Chex). We also "found" combs, plastic forks and spoons, a baby spoon (we're done with that!), dice, hair pins, etc. I told my kids to look for things with interesting shapes (and not worry about the colors or designs drawn on them). I asked them to not grab something they'd miss, but things that they'd never notice if they were gone!

We glued (just used white glue) the objects on our plaques. After the glue dried, we spray painted the plaques either black or silver and hung them on the wall. The paint gave each piece of art one color, emphasizing the shapes of the found objects and removing the distraction of having lots of colors. The kids agreed they looked better painted than they did before being painted.

Maybe you could do something like this.

Kelly
homeschl mom

homeschl mom

Oops I forgot
Old 02-20-2006, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You asked about a mural. I never answered that. You could have each kid do a project and then make them into one big mural or you could do one big mural using the techniques described above.

Another idea just popped into my head, but I don't know enough to help you with it! There are books out there that show objects arranged in a way to look like a cityscape or a factory or whatever. At first glance, you think you're looking at a city, but if you look a little harder you realize you are really looking at clothespins, a matchbook, some safety pins, etc. cleverly arranged to look like a city. I don't know the names of these books, but our library has them and we've checked them out now and then. You could create a mural like those books and have everyone work on a section or brainstorm together on what real objects sort of look like buildings, boats, or railroad tracks.

Kelly

CoffeePam

Mural
Old 02-20-2006, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for your quick response. I love the cityscape idea. Now to get the kiddos ready...
CoffeePam is offline   Reply With Quote