Visual & Performing Arts

performing arts projects

>

lgar

lgar

performing arts projects
Old 06-09-2011, 03:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am the new visual performing art enrichment teacher next year and will see grades k-6. I am required to do 2 performance based projects that include research, music, art, and theater pertaining to the grade level curriculum. Does anyone have any ideas they've used in these grade levels? Thanks!

broomrider

suggestions
Old 06-18-2011, 10:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How wonderful! most elementary schools do NOT do that sort of arts enrichment anymore and really need to incorporate it.

Check out the grade level standards--usually posted on the state and/or district site. You can explore social studies and science particularly since these often get short shrift and teachers will often be happy if you address them.

This may well be stuff you already know and forgive me if I am preaching to the well educated choir.

Pick out some areas that are covered in the standards/curriculum and see how to include that art, music, drama. Students might create backdrops for a creative drama depiction of a historical event, community interaction, science theme (like modeling the behavior of plants and animals in each season) and incorporate songs that reflect the theme (try Banana Slug String Band songs to start for science). Our 6th graders do Egypt and performing a whole burial ritual would be very exciting--they can create their own burial songs/chants for the internment. The students can do the research to decide the characters, setting/location, actions, etc. to create their own scripts. You can use creative drama to develop a script that is memorized and read or use the improvisations during the presentations, just being sure that the song cues are in place.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote