Help

Social Studies

Social Studies Instruction Planning

>

moiramoose

Social Studies Instruction Planning
Old 09-22-2012, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a teaching assistant and a teaching student and have a few questions that I would be grateful to anyone who could spare a few minutes to answer. I am currently studying social studies curriculum, methods, and assessments.

1- How much time on average is spent in your classroom studying social studies daily? If social studies is not studied daily, than how much time is spent weekly?

2- Do you use text books in your social studies instruction.
- If not, what kind of materials are used?
- If textbooks are used, do you use any supplemental materials? What kind of supplemental materials are used?

3- What standards do you use to guide your curriculum?

4- How important do you consider social studies curriculum in comparison to other subjects (math, science, ELA)?

5- Do you link social studies lessons with lessons in any other subject such as science, ELA, or math?

Thank you in advance for taking a few minutes to help me learn more about teaching social studies.

moiramoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Century46

Theme
Old 09-22-2012, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We take the Science and Social Studies Standards for the Trimester and create Units of Study and it is called Theme in the schedule (because it can be either). This trimester, the Social Studies Unit of Study is Native Americans. We will also do one called Coming to America (Exploration and Colonies) and the American Revolution this year.

Each one takes about 6 weeks (1/2 of a trimester, with the other half being a science-themed Unit). During this time, I use most of the day to teach in an integrated way. For example, in Theme (40 min), they will reasearch, write and untimately build a Native American Museum for the rest of the study body to visit. They will also use Writing Workshop time for brochures, plaques and historical fiction pieces. During Reading Workshop, we will have book clubs with books set in these time periods, shared reading with fiction and non-fiction books about the topic and so on.

So, though my time might look like 40 minutes a day during a social studies theme and 0 during a science theme, it can really include and additional 2 1/2 hours with reading and writing workshops.

As to how important I think they are...they are the hook to engage kids in reading and writing. I don't know whether I prefer our science themes or social studies themes, but I cannot imagine teaching without using one or the other as the foundation.
Century46 is offline   Reply With Quote

moiramoose

Old 09-23-2012, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That is a great the way that you incorporate your social studies or science theme into you reading and writing. I can see how students would certainly get more in the way of content while building their reading and writing skills. What set of standards are using?
moiramoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Century46

Standards
Old 09-24-2012, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am in Indiana, so we use the state standards for Social Studies (5th grade). In addition, for LA, we are combining Common Core and Indiana Standards.
Century46 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsb12247

In NH
Old 10-01-2012, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

1- How much time on average is spent in your classroom studying social studies daily? If social studies is not studied daily, than how much time is spent weekly?

Not enough is my flippant answer I teach 7th grade, and students have daily 45 minute blocks of SS, or alternately, 90 minutes every other day.

2- Do you use text books in your social studies instruction.
- If not, what kind of materials are used?
- If textbooks are used, do you use any supplemental materials? What kind of supplemental materials are used?

We are trying a new textbook this year, but generally we use a mix up of ideas, stuff from History Alive and our Harcourt Book, stuff from the internet.

3- What standards do you use to guide your curriculum?

The NH State standards

4- How important do you consider social studies curriculum in comparison to other subjects (math, science, ELA)?

Just as important. And I think we should spend more time teaching reading through the lens of Social Studies.

5- Do you link social studies lessons with lessons in any other subject such as science, ELA, or math?

I teach SS as "reading through the content area", so i do a lot fo reading and writing in SS.

mrsb12247 is offline   Reply With Quote