Have to Build Theater Program...HELP! :) - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Visual & Performing Arts

Have to Build Theater Program...HELP! :)

>

roxstar

Have to Build Theater Program...HELP! :)
Old 07-26-2012, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all! So, I am hoping there are some middle school theater/drama teachers that can lend me a helping hand. I will be teaching a period of drama next year along with my 4 math classes ( I know, sounds weird but it's actually weirder that I teach Math!). Now even though my BA is in theater, I graduated 15 years ago and I just don't know where to begin with these kids. There will be 6, 7 and 8th grade students in the room and only one class a day so there isn't a beginning or advanced class. Also, my kids are mostly ELL. My state has standards, thankfully, but I just don't know where to begin.

If I start with theater history, I think they will fall asleep. Where do all of you start? What units do you plan? I know that I want to teach them about the history of theater, important terms, acting, directing, script writing, critiquing.. but in what order etc. I will really appreciate any help that you can offer.

Last edited by roxstar; 07-26-2012 at 02:34 PM..
roxstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr. Dawon Ta

Mr. Dawon Ta

Drama Club Advisor
Old 08-28-2012, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hello,

How are you? My name is Mr. Taylor I am the Drama Club Educational Director at M.L.K. Career Campus. I have bee involed with Theater since i was three years old. It is a wonderful subject to teach. The most important area to start with is the History of theater and work you way into the other areas.
Have Fun!

ThankaTchr

Just in support of theatre...
Old 11-13-2012, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

FYI: a friend of mine (who is a director in his spare time) has a daughter with a double major: Theater and Math I am an x-theater major teaching first grade this year (Kinder for the past 6) Hang in there. I taught HS drama as a production coach and stage manager volunteer when my kids were that age. LOVE IT!!
ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote