Math & Science

Subitizing games and activities Grade One

>

giggit

Subitizing games and activities Grade One
Old 06-21-2013, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

HI
I am looking for some subitizing games and activities for math centers in fall. Does anyone do a unit on subitizing with first graders? I would love to hear how your math block works... Any ideas for games would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

giggit is offline   Reply With Quote

Gr8Profession

Old 06-28-2013, 04:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know our 1st grade teachers all work on subitizing. I believe they do it as a warm-up activity with their students for much of the 1st half of the year. As students sit in a group, the teacher shows cards and students put their thumbs up to show they know the number. The teacher quickly calls on the students. The teachers move to having the pictures in more of an array or groups of objects so the students begin to transition from just the subitizing to adding the 2 numbers and "seeing" the larger number. The teacher asks the students how they saw their answer. Hope that helps!
Gr8Profession is offline   Reply With Quote

Saleekee

subitizing
Old 07-22-2013, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Makesh Sharma teaches a lot about subitizing in his workshops. He has a deck of cards without numbers on them that you can use for many different math games. The deck has normal looking face cards and the rest of the cards look like normal cards but they do not have the numbers in the corner. I have included his website. I teach 5th and 6th grade title one math so I do not really have anything for 1st graders but if they play war, addition war or any other games with a deck of cards these cards would be perfect - you could also just take a regular deck and cover up the numbers which is what I did in the beginning. You could have them arrange them in ascending or descending order with a time limit and then hey could write out the correct order. I give the students a blank card with plastic over it and they need to draw the number as fast as possible with an expo and then we go to the next number. Oh, I have a student to meet, gotta go. I know he uses the cards for all ages. Good luck. http://www.mathematicsforall.org/Mat...ingham-MA.html
Saleekee is offline   Reply With Quote

giggit

Old 07-24-2013, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the suggestions,
giggit is offline   Reply With Quote

loveschool04

Number talks
Old 10-21-2014, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

A great resource that I use is a book called "Number Talks" by Sherry Parrish. Throughout the book Parrish talks about different sets of dot cards and rekenrek activities that you can use with the students. This book helps with understand number talks and how to incorporate them into the classroom. Subitizing and number talks should be something that happens in every class, whether at the beginning, in small groups, or at the end. It is very beneficial for students and helps them build their knowledge of numbers. Students who engage in number talks, will excel in the math concepts they learn!

loveschool04 is offline   Reply With Quote