Help

Visual & Performing Arts

Drama production

>

nette25

Drama production
Old 09-06-2010, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A co-worker and I have agreed to run a drama club and have a school musical. Any suggestions for a play we could use? It's a small school...about 36 5-8 graders and another approx. 100 PreK-4th graders. Figured speaking roles would go to middle schoolers and younger students could be extras, with possible one-liners if necessary.
Also, where do I get scripts with limited funds?

nette25 is offline   Reply With Quote

ThankaTchr

Did you guys find anything yet?
Old 10-23-2010, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I realize this is last month, but I typically stay between my kinder page and VistaPrint addicts, and just noticed your post ! I co-direct our variety show every year and am actually an x-theatre major. My 3rd grade buddy teacher and I have done it for the past 5 years. We have never done a "play" here at school. I have taught theatre as a volunteer after school drama club for 7-12th and so was wondering if you guys found anything? Since we always used original stuff. What is your experience because you want something that is managable for you and your co-worker that doesn't drive you crazy. Rehearsals can be a nightmare (even WITH experience ) I know there is stuff out there. My drive is to actually write musicals for kids to get the arts into the schools. I have done a few in the private sector. Maybe my stuff will show up on teachers pay teachers . com. You never know. Let me know what you find. Maybe start out with some Readers Theatre. You can google stuff there I think.
ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

jennmcg72

Bad Wolf Press
Old 10-23-2010, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Bad Wolf Press has an excellent selection of musicals for a variety of cast sizes. All plays are curriculum based, so I'm sure you can find something to meet your needs. I've used musical plays from this company for the past two years, and have been very pleased with the results. Good luck with your hunt!
jennmcg72 is offline   Reply With Quote

nette25

Old 11-16-2010, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks. We are actually doing a shortened version of The Wizard of Oz. I performed all through high school and college and the other teacher also performed, although I'm not sure how long. So far, things are going well. We have our cast and have actually begun rehearsals.
nette25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Damaris1734
Old 01-04-2011, 03:34 PM
This message has been deleted by Damaris1734.

Damaris1734

Ideas would be awesome!
Old 01-04-2011, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi there ThankaTchr,

You sound like an amazing resource! I have been trying to come up with an excellent idea for my students this year. I live in a Mennonite community, and often find that content is not family/child friendly! Could you steer me in a direction that is reasonibly priced??

Thanks!!

Damaris1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Mrs. Dee

Mrs. Dee

plays for children
Old 05-10-2011, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

How about "Jungle Book". Musical theater International has all the info you might need. I'm a Drama teacher and have directed over a dozen shows with kids all ages. This one was pretty manageable.