Help

Visual & Performing Arts

School Play

>

I <3 READING

School Play
Old 03-01-2012, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Desperately looking for ideas for a school play. I am in a K-4 school and each grade level has been assigned a date for a performance. Unfortunately, our 4th grade team was given June 20th (in an old, unconditioned auditorium with a very poor sound system). Each of our 100 4th graders must have some role in the play. With no experience in performing I am looking for any ideas on how best to prepare for this day or for ideas on what anyone has done successfully with this age group. All feedback is appreciated. Thanks!!

I <3 READING is offline   Reply With Quote

Denise Dion

Denise Dion

Talented Drama Instructor Caddo Parish School
Old 03-07-2012, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That is a really big group to have each perform. I have found that with a large group or grade performance it is best to start with a theme. Do you have a theme for this June performance?

I would then break up the students into groups via classes or even smaller groups of 6 , 8 , 10, 12, each group should then be assigned a special project to be presented during the production, (Song, Dance, choral reading, Poem Rap)

I would audition for lead students to be MCs or Host of the program and divide the duties up between them equally and go with 2, 4, or 6, and have them work in pairs on each of their parts.

Now for the body of the Performance. I would pull together, songs, poems or selected readings that reflect the theme or message of the performance.

The students can write these as well as recite them. I would then have the older students with strong memorization skills perform short scenes from scripted plays.

Denise Dion

CatLove

Old 03-25-2012, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Heidi Songs has some good things on her site. Check it out.

http://www.heidisongs.com/index.php
CatLove is online now   Reply With Quote

sunsets11

Old 03-25-2012, 05:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If it needs to be a "play", look into the Bad Wolf Press

or - a collection of skits/songs like "The universe and other stuff" http://www.histage.com/playdetails.asp?PID=1311
sunsets11 is offline   Reply With Quote

m3g

Old 05-13-2012, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Bad Wolf Press stuff is great but 100 kids each with a role? Yikes!

I've done performances with 60 second graders but adding 40 more would be very difficult.

Look for stuff with accompaniment CDs so you can practice a lot beforehand. Make sure the kids know the words to the songs (assuming musical with 100)....I hate watching stuff where the kids were obviously not prepared.

m3g is offline   Reply With Quote