Current Events Election Year-Suggestions? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Social Studies

Current Events Election Year-Suggestions?

>

msbartley

Current Events Election Year-Suggestions?
Old 08-09-2012, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my second year teaching Current Events and this year is an election year! My current events class is made up of 10-12th graders. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for assignments/ways to discuss the election process, candidates, and such with my students?

My plan so far is to review the election process, discuss PAC's/Campaign Finance, Important election issues, and follow the debates. I am unsure if I want to assess this through weekly journals reflecting on the weeks events or with a specific series of assignments. What are your thoughts?

msbartley is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss.Lucy

Both! Carefully!
Old 08-20-2012, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This sounds like such a fun class! There was nothing like this in my HS. I think a combination of both reflection journals and specific assignments would be best. If you want less work I think I would go with specific assignments, letting students just journal can sometimes lead to laziness on their part -_- . I don't know about your area but where I am the election is a HOT topic and people get offended/defensive very easily, I'd be sure to remain VERY neutral! Maybe that's why I should never teach this class! Good luck!
Miss.Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

search
Old 08-20-2012, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Don't forget to try a search of this site! I'm sure you'll get ideas you can adapt for your age level.
sbslab is online now   Reply With Quote