Help

Social Studies

election

>

jmw8811

election
Old 10-11-2012, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

HEEEELLLLLPPPPP! I want to do a mock election for my 2nd grade class. I would like to read the book "Grace For President" and then have nominees, set up a voting booth, have ballots, posters, have the students debate, & even have the two final nominees write a paragraph of why they should be class president. They whole nine yards. I need ideas on some of the issues the students should talk about, getting all of the students involved, & how to elect the first eight or four nominees. One of students asked if we could do this & I think it would be a great idea, but I am stuck and confused on getting it started. : confused:

ANY IDEAS???????

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

jmw8811 is offline   Reply With Quote

nuto2

2nd grade elections
Old 10-17-2012, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Let them decide the "issues" for the class-but be sure they are realistic-maybe negotiate an extra 5 mins recess as a party platform. Be sure to have strict rules about civility-debate the issues-not personalities. Have a series of "town halls"so that the class has a chance to talk about the issues they think are important.
I decided against an election-didn't want hurt feelings or political arguments, so we are going to have a referendum instead. We will have a choice of what kind of class reward they want for their reading-they are keeping track in 15 min. increments. They will need to lobby and have posters and then we will have vote.
Good luck.
nuto2 is offline   Reply With Quote