Help

Social Studies

13 colonies

>

mkaiser

13 colonies
Old 12-04-2012, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for a way to creatively teach the thirteen colonies. I want them to understand the major differences between the New England, Middle, and Southern Colonies. I am very limited on technology. Unfortunately, most of what I'm finding are different online games or webquests. While some of these are excellent, I don't have the resources to do them. I did an explorer simulation to teach European Exploration, and have several more interactive things for the Revolutionary War unit, but am struggling with ways to teach this unit in a more engaging way.
Any ideas????
Thanks!

mkaiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Century46

colonies
Old 12-05-2012, 03:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A couple of ideas...First, I put the kids in three groups and each are responsible for researching and presenting information on their "region" for the class. We brainstorm a list of possible ways to do it (skits, trifold, brochure, mobiles, ect...and each person in the group creates something to share).

In Reading Workshop, we do Reader's Theater with Read-Aloud Plays: Colonial America, by Marci Applebaum. The kids like these and we do them in place of Read Aloud for a week.
Century46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Eirelyn

Colony Commercial
Old 05-25-2013, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have mine do commercials trying to convince the rest of the class to settle in their colony. They write persuasive pieces and use thinking maps to write the pros and cons of the colony.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Colonial Billboard Groupwork.docx (67.0 KB, 150 views)
Eirelyn is offline   Reply With Quote

mizmamster13

Listening game
Old 11-25-2016, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi All,

When I was teaching 7th grade Civics, I found a cute little way of learning the order that the 13 colonies came into being. I cannot find my original link to the activity but I have found something similar and here is the link:

http://cicorp.com/ci/principles/13States/index.htm

The teacher reads out the "story" to the students then the first student repeats what the first "picture" (colony) is. Then the next student repeats what the first student says, and adds the second colony. (The teacher repeats the story needed.)

At the bottom of the page there are two more links for variations of this activity. All activities involve listening and then repeating the steps in order.
There is a picture that shows the ways of remembering each step. When finished, each student knows the name of each colony and the order in which each became a colony.

I gave each student a map of the 13 colonies with blanks to fill in for each colony and separate blanks showing which were middle colonies, etc.

mizmamster13
mizmamster13 is offline   Reply With Quote