Help

Math & Science

Touch math

>

r9miles

Touch math
Old 01-29-2013, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A teacher in our 2nd grade has decided that touch math is the solution to fact fluency. I am very concerned that the concept of numeracy is being compromised using the system. A student needs to see the mnimber 8 as 4+4, 5+3,6+2,7+1,8+0 not just 2 groups of 4. What do you think? Do any of you have any research regarding the use of touch math in the general ed setting?

r9miles is offline   Reply With Quote

teach_love

Google
Old 02-01-2013, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had heard a bunch of negative about touch math over the years and when a colleague was insistent up the whole grade level incorporating it into lessons I did my own research and pulled up credible site after site speaking negatively of it.

I don't typically take such a stance against others' ideas, but when it puts my kids' education at risk, I am a pit-bull. Luckily I was able to convince the P (who is really good friends with the teacher and usually bulldozed by the teacher) otherwise.

I do not have any of my research still, as my computer crashed, but I do recommend you at least Google it. The system, if used, only needs to be used with sp. ed. children who are having a difficult time with numbers already. However, I recall one site were a bunch of sp.ed. teachers unloaded on the program.
teach_love is offline   Reply With Quote

momteaches

touch math
Old 02-05-2013, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

As a second grade resource teacher, I taught my students Touchmath as a piece of their toolbox. My students were so much faster than their nondisabled peers on quick drills, that our regular ed second grade teachers now teach it at the beginning of the year to all. Those who need it use it, those that don't...don't. I was switched to fifth grade and found that the students who did well with it earlier, still use it. I was able to extend their knowledge to multiplication as well.
momteaches is offline   Reply With Quote

goteachmath

Old 02-09-2013, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use touch math with my students as one of the strategies they can use. Memorization of facts is encouraged and activities are completed to help with that but some children struggle with memorizing facts and then panic when the answer does not immediately come to mind. If they have a strategy they can employ it takes the panic away and often as they tap the first dot the answer comes to mind. I agree that the strategy is not for every student and it is not to be used in place of understanding fact families and break apart numbers. It is another strategy students can put in their tool bag if they get stuck.
goteachmath is offline   Reply With Quote