Help

Math & Science

MARS assessments

>

Keltikmom

MARS assessments
Old 03-31-2013, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone else participate in these through the Silicon Valley math initiative? Recently finished administering the second grade test and the kids were crying it was so hard. Testing them on concepts not yet taught to "broaden their thinking."

The SVMI is all about algebra in middle school..... Why am I frustrating my kids?

Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

purdy2

Old 08-12-2015, 12:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm so sorry for the inconvenience you and your students have gone through! But to answer your question...Yes and NO...I was invited to a state conference for math..and it was about MARS...I researched MARS..and the outcome was that the materials that our state is receiving from MARS and Nottingham University, England is donated by the Bill Gates Foundation. After saying that...I have been researching Common Core since it was pushed on us since 2008... and have found that it slows the students thinking process down.. anyway...the materials are to advanced for the childrens grade/s. "They" have recalibrated each grade by pushing the grade above into the grade below...plus "THEY" have stated that "now" the teachers will not have to focus on teaching as many skills....which I haven't seem that materialize yet!...Plus..England & Sweden national grade rating has tumbled....and both countries are scrambling to survive the outcome!
purdy2 is offline   Reply With Quote