Help

Math & Science

Readers theatre

>

maree

Readers theatre
Old 05-12-2013, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you begin readers theatre? Our principal wants us to set these up for next year..

maree is offline   Reply With Quote

SuzieCue

Reader's Theater Set Up
Old 06-10-2013, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I work in a private parochial school where my students often do programs for the church. Reader's Theater is sort of like a responsive reading. I have found that it is easy to do a Reader's Theater using passages from the Bible. Psalms is especially adaptable since it is already written in a poetry format.
I have also found that poems and song lyrics are easy to adapt also. Young children's books (like Dr. Seuss) with repeating phrases work great. They give parts an emphasis, as does having changes in the voices. Treat whatever they are reading like a script in a play. Go through the script and divide it up into sections. Then decide who (boys or girls) and how many voices (solo, duet, trio, or group) you want to use for that part. I will type it out and then copy the pages. I like to use a different color font for each grouping so it is easy for them to see when reading. If I don't color copy, the I highlight or underline in color each group's part. I copy it in color and put them in a 3 ring binder. I will have the students divided into groups.Each group will stand behind a microphone and music stand which will have a binder on it from which each group will read their part. The beauty of a Reader's Theater presentation is that the students do not have to memorize parts and get all stressed about forgetting their part. Practice with them so they get the correct tone, volume and inflection. Practice so they know exactly when to say their part so there is no hesitation. Practice with them so the groups are speaking together. Practice so they move to and from the microphone smoothly without bumping into each other. When they are comfortable with the logistics, they settle down and do a great job. Practice is what makes the process flow like a well-oiled machine. It's similar to a choral reading. I have done it with grades 3 through 8 and they have all enjoyed it. It is a whole lot easier than having them memorize their parts. And it takes MUCH less work and stress for them and for the teacher. Do and Internet search for scripts. Have fun!

Last edited by SuzieCue; 06-10-2013 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: typos
SuzieCue is offline   Reply With Quote

maree

thank you...
Old 06-19-2013, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I can use this in my class and with my youth at church....you are wonderful..thank you or the blessing...
maree is offline   Reply With Quote

ThankaTchr

Have Fun fun fun and practice practice
Old 07-02-2013, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

practice I have also done a lot of theatre with my church youth group (and working it in at public school) Note how often SuzieCue said the word 'practice' Because they will DO exactly what they practice (good or bad) and don't forget to have fun with them. Theatre teaches SOooo many aspects of teamwork. Even more than sports (don't tell my DH that )
ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote