Help

Math & Science

Do Common Core Science Workbooks exist?

>

melonjar

Do Common Core Science Workbooks exist?
Old 05-14-2013, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For the past several years I have used the Science Coach workbook as a guide and a place to read science material. I've supplemented with various experiments, online activities etc. Now our school is full blown Common Core. The Coach series is not developing a new Coach book for common core. In my search, I've found no student workbooks geared toward the new science common core.

Have you found/adopted a new series for science that hits the new material?

Thanks!

melonjar is offline   Reply With Quote

tester10

Common core or next generation?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In all our pd I've never heard of common core science. There are science strands in common core English but they are writing and reading not content standards. I have heard of next generation science standards. In Ohio they just passed new science standards so I doubt they adopt the next generation standards in the next couple of years. We use coach books for review in 7th and most of the sections are still applicable so I will still use them with our new science standards. I guess it depends on how your state is changing.
tester10 is offline   Reply With Quote

melonjar

Thanks...yes...next generation
Old 05-15-2013, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm in Ohio. Our school district has adopted all new curriculum. Reading/Math Common Core is now what we teach. New science standards are full blown adopted. I guess I call it common core because it's new. So, I'm looking for materials that support those new standards. I'm sure there will be more over the next couple of years, but for us, now is better.

Thanks for the input.
melonjar is offline   Reply With Quote

ccsteacher001

Old 05-17-2013, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In NC the Coach books are new/revised to reflect our new Essential Standards for science. We bought those and I rewrote my study guides to match them. You might want to check with the company again.
ccsteacher001 is offline   Reply With Quote

suzy_q

In time
Old 05-18-2013, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think it is still too early in the process to find a workbook like you are seeking. My state, Kentucky, is releasing the common core science standards this fall when they are finalized. I think we will start to see science workbooks based on common core some time next school year.

suzy_q is offline   Reply With Quote

ccsteacher001

Old 05-20-2013, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Ohio is a lead state for the Next Gen Science standards so I would expect them to be adopting them next year since they are now finalized. Adoption does not mean implementation though. If I had to guess I would expect adoption 2013-2014 and implementation 2014-2015. We're in the same boat in NC and that is what I'm anticipating.
ccsteacher001 is offline   Reply With Quote