Help

Bulletin Boards & Classroom Themes

There really

>

Jojobean82

There really
Old 08-05-2015, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Should be a college class called bulliten boards 101.setting up my first board was harder than I thought ... Spacing still isint right but I gave up!

Jojobean82 is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

It gets easier.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm assuming from your post that you are a first year teacher. After a while, you won't worry about it so much. There's not enough time to have every detail perfect. When I first started teaching, I wanted my bulletin boards to be perfect. Now I'm happy to get them changed regularly. You have to spend the majority of your time on teaching, and your bulletin boards take a back seat.
Have a great year!
linda2671 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jojobean82

Yes !
Old 08-05-2015, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's my first year! Just venting my frustration on the paper not laying flat and spacing! We don't have pacing guides yet (at least none that I can access) nor am I 100% sure what grades I'll being pulling out and how many students yet. So working on my room today made me feel somewhat in control of the situation till I decided to put up a bulliten board. I had boxes and boxes of stuff from the old sped teacher to sort through... Old reading curriculum from the 70's I think. Sigh

Clogs1228

right there with you
Old 08-05-2015, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am running the computer lab and it is my first "teaching" position and I worked forever on the board today. I think I went through a thousand staples I kept taking them out and moving stuff it it was not right. I am sure the time will come where I won't care but I doubt it since I am finicky when I craft too.

One board down three more areas to go but they are much simpler and do not involve staples!
Clogs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrrx

Old 08-06-2015, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My back to school bulletin boards involve a ton of time because some of them stay up all year long. Temporary/monthly boards are a whole lot quicker!

One thing I do is hang the letters up first. I usually try to do it staggered or at an angle so anything crooked isn't as obvious. Then, have a small accent piece (leaf, flower, whatever fits the theme) that can go next to the title to make it more balanced.

tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

Marriedin79

PushPins to the rescue!
Old 08-06-2015, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Use them first to get the spacing correct. Then go back and staple. Works forms!
Marriedin79 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jojobean82

The answer is always
Old 08-06-2015, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In front of your face! Push pins awesome idea!

prechrswife

Old 08-07-2015, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

When I was in college (in the 90's) and we took our educational media class, one of our projects was to do a bulletin board. We were each assigned a board in one of the classrooms in the education building on campus to decorate and were graded on it.
prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Clogs1228

push pins
Old 08-08-2015, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I thought of push pins too, I am using them to test out my standards board. I will staple when I am finished and ready to go. Has anyone ever used a white board as a bulletin board? I have one I am not going to write on because the computers are in front of it so I am using it for my standards and I can statements. Right now they are stuck on with magnets but I would love to tape the background on, will that damage the board?
Clogs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 08-08-2015, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

If you really want to make sure things are straight, use a string and two push pins. Put one push pin on each side of the board (measure down the edge of the board to make sure they are the same height) then tie the string to them, pulling it taut.

Then you have a straight line across the board to make sure letters, etc are straight.

Oh, and you can often tell how long someone has been teaching by how well they tear the paper off those giant rolls.

sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

kirbyjack

Old 08-08-2015, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I understand about the spacing. It would bother me all year if I didn't get my spacing right.

We had a media class in college where we had to create a bulletin board. We were also required to create 2 using a rubric during our internship. That's kind of hard now for the interns to do because teachers are required to have certain things on their bulletin boards throughout the year.

I learned a lot about out to decorate and do bulletin boards when I helped with VBS. Like others have said, pushpins are your friend. It's also okay for the paper to go off the board a little. Once you have it stapled up, you can easily crease and tear with your thumbnail or with a pair of scissors. It cuts it nice and straight if you do it right. If the bulletin board has a frame that is flush with the cork, it also looks nicer to line up border with the outside of the frame. It hides the frame and gives you a tiny amount of more room. I've also used the flat sides of border to help me align letters. I tack the border on straight, then I use it as a guide.
kirbyjack is offline   Reply With Quote

ThankaTchr

You new teachers will soon learn....
Old 08-16-2015, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

that you can stare at your boards while you do a lesson and realize "Hey I should add THIS to it." I had a banner sentence for above my parts-of-speech wall that didn't go up FOR A YEAR because I just ran out of time. It finally went up last June (before school got out)! One time we were saying the Pledge in our class and I saw an extra pair of scissors hiding on a window ledge where I had left them Welcome to teaching!
ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 08-16-2015, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

It is easier if you glue the letters on bulletin board paper and then cut out each word. You then only have to make sure each word is straight and it saves time. It also makes it more colorful. I have had several student teachers. I have them design, make, and put up a bulletin board. Every one of them has told me they had no idea how difficult and time consuming doing a bulletin board was! I now do seasonal bulletin boards so I don't have to change them often.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

C-HARLES

a warning about push pins.....
Old 09-03-2015, 01:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My experience has been that by middle school some students will actively search them out and remove them to "play" with them. I use push pins to set up but then staple.

Push pins in reach of younger students could be a potential danger as well.
C-HARLES is offline   Reply With Quote

Tulips

Push pins
Old 09-03-2015, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

C_HARLES you only use the push pins to get your space correct or things straight/even, then you staple once you have things fixed the way you like them and remove the push pins. The push ins don't stay on the board permanently, unless I forgot one or two.
Tulips is offline   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

college
Old 09-03-2015, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I loved doing bullentin boards. Crazy sounding I know. If I could not get the lining straight I would jumble the letters up and down. Sometimes you can even turn a letter backwards so it catches someone's eye. Burlap is good if you are using the board for student work or something that you change constantly. I came from the generation where you had to trace letters. So I was so happy to the intervention of die cuts and electric die cut machines. I loved coming up with titles.
readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote