Help

Writing & Language Arts

Sharing a TurkeyDay persuasive writing idea

>

teachinpitt

Sharing a TurkeyDay persuasive writing idea
Old 11-11-2011, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Did this last year, and the kids loved it..looks great displayed on lockers too...I adapted ideas found on PT I believe.

Main Objective: Write a detailed paragraph from the point of view of the Turkey...to not be served for Thanksgiving this year.

Start off with a turkey shape on tag board that the kids will disguise/decorate as something or someone else (Santa, a cartoon character, here in Pittsburgh Troy Polamalu is a popular choice). THe writing piece accompanying this craft project is a persuasive paragraph explaining why the 'turkey' should be spared this year.

i.e. : "I am not a turkey at all, I am really Santa. I should not be cooked and served on Thanksgiving because you need me next month for Christmas....etc, etc". I require three strong, supported reasons to keep him alive.

The turkey disguise tag board is an at-home activity that I send a letter home with so students get help from adults. I give a week to do, then write in school. Goal is to have them posted by our T-day break.

teachinpitt is offline   Reply With Quote