Help

Writing & Language Arts

Descriptive Writing Examples

>

kmob

Descriptive Writing Examples
Old 05-12-2012, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Looking for a few passages from literature to model/demonstrate being descriptive in writing. My students have gotten good with using modifiers and vivid verbs, but still don't fully describe something. Thought if I could model, but don't know where to look for the best examples. Anyone have anything that you use to help your students be more descriptive. (I teach grades 6-8 ELA, but can adapt or modify easily). TIA

kmob is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Try Sensory Writing
Old 05-25-2012, 09:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When students describe a food they like using all five senses they have a well developed essay, usually. I like the attached graphic organizer for prewriting to make sure all five senses will be included. We usually write about Oreo cookies, but any food will work. I try to do this assignment early in the school year and then ask that all descriptions include as many of their senses as possible for the rest of our school year.

Also have students create a pumpkin collage using a variety of craft supplies. They use desk study carrells so no one sees their design. Then they describe their pumpkin from top to bottom in spatial order. We display all the pumpkins. Then each student reads their essay. The others listen and try to identify the correct pumpkin from their description. They love the guessing game and it is a great listening activity. Perhaps your students could do something other than pumpkins that would be more age appropriate.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sensory graphic organizer.pdf (18.0 KB, 262 views)
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote