Help

Writing & Language Arts

Writing Idea for Evaluation

>

TrendyTN

Writing Idea for Evaluation
Old 11-03-2011, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need a great writing lesson for my evaluation next week. I use a writing workshop format, but would love a mind blowing lesson for my big day. What ideas can you share? I teach 5th grade.

TrendyTN is offline   Reply With Quote

usechalk

Old 11-03-2011, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know how "mind blowing" this will be, but I will share some thoughts. I am always trying to stress details and description in my kids' writing. As children get older, the writing quality increases because they pay attention to details and add specific descriptions that make their writing colorful, interesing, and engaging.
You could center your lesson completely on describing in writing. Read them a passage that is very descriptive (could be from a book or something you make it up). Make sure the passage includes descriptions using all 5 of the senses. Read the passage once without any questions. Next, read the passage again and after have the kids explain how it was being described (using the 5 senses). It will be helpful for the kids to have a copy of what you are reading. Next give them something that engages all 5 of their senses (taste is up to you, but a small piece of candy would do the trick. Of course they'd have to "play" with their food to determine "feel.") Let them write only adjectives to describe the object - no sentences just adjectives. Encourage them to be creative and even make up words. You will usually be able to tell what they are trying to say with made up words and you can give them the real word. (Example: in describing a tootsy roll, a student may say "squishy" or "movey." Then, you could tell them to use the word "malleable" and increase their vocabulary in the process.) After having them list all the adjectives of the object, have them write a short (1-2 paragraph) narrative of them engaging the object. Later you can then look over them and "publish" them on a wall or in a class book.

Sorry it is a little jumbled. I dont know if this is what you are looking for but hopefully it gets the ball rolling. Good luck with your evaluation next week.
usechalk is offline   Reply With Quote

snacktime18

Old 11-04-2011, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How about a writing lesson centered on the thank you note? The thank you note is sadly a dying genre. The lesson could cross over a little into social studies and the value of being thinkful and grateful to people. Also, since we are heading towards thanksigivng you could have some kind of tie-in. In the actual lesson plan, I would stress the importance of details when writing a thank you. The students will want to specifc about WHAT they are thankful for, and WHY. They will also want to explain the importance, joy, comfort, etc. the gift or action of the person they are thanking.
The different people you could thank are endless, but it may be best to let the kids or simply stick to family. At that age, the more familiar they are with the person the better the thank you note will be.
Good luck with your lesson!
snacktime18 is offline   Reply With Quote