Help

Writing & Language Arts

Historical Fiction

>

sborrus

Historical Fiction
Old 11-12-2011, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been teaching for 10 years, however, this is my first year teaching writing. We have just started historical fiction. Any ideas on how to teach this????? I teach 5th graders.

sborrus is offline   Reply With Quote

kmob

without literature?
Old 11-13-2011, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

So you're not teaching in conjunction with a novel? I've never taught it aside from literature, but I would think that you could read them some excerpts from Historical Fiction pieces and discuss what makes them fit the genre. Then have each child pick a period in history and do a little research on that topic. From there make an outline of what will happen in the story. Might be a good idea to pick whatever time period they are studying in Social Studies, and maybe to write a short one as a class first. Good luck.
kmob is offline   Reply With Quote

Century46

mentor texts
Old 11-14-2011, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would start with mentor texts. There are many wonderful picture books, written at the Intermediate level, that you can read with kids. I would find some from various time periods and those written in different formats. After reading several, and "deconstructing" them, they can use these for their own stories.

I use mentor text with virtually all my writing instruction. We're getting ready to start one on biographies, one of my favorites.
Century46 is offline   Reply With Quote

curlygirl2

Dandelions
Old 11-26-2011, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

by Eve Bunting is a great mentor text we use...great storyline, too.

I agree with all of the previous posts...
curlygirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MsOC

Historical Fiction with Dear America books
Old 01-16-2012, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I start with a book report on a Dear America book. Then I have them brainstorm events in history they might be interested in. Then I have them go to http://www.factmonster.com/dayinhistory to search their historical events on their birthday. I also have them think about family and friends who may have experienced history. Finally, I have them write their peice in a Dear Diary format. We discuss; formal and informal language, dialect and phrasing of different time periods and geographical areas.

MsOC is offline   Reply With Quote

quickfish

Can you link it to their Social Studies?
Old 08-09-2012, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

There are lots of good topics they will be studying in social studies in fifth grade, which lend themselves easily to historical writing assignments. Stories about explorers, colonists, the revolutionary war, slavery . . .Plenty of historical detail to learn about and include in their stories, and plenty of adventure to inspire them. Try having them use primary sources like maps and letters as the inspiration for a story.
quickfish is offline   Reply With Quote