Help

Writing & Language Arts

writing with details

>

RaceFan18

writing with details
Old 01-02-2012, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a 6th grade student who is having a very hard time including descriptive details in her writing. She includes very few details of any kind and still writes simple sentences. She is a very smart girl, and I know she is capable. Any ideas for creative ways to help her or books that we can read together that are full of good descriptive details?
Thanks!!!!

RaceFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsPic

Share this with her...
Old 01-03-2012, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

http://www.telescopictext.com/

Click on the grey boxes, one by one. It's awesome. I ask all of my students to write one simple sentence about something they like. Then we work in groups (grouped by similar interests) and we create our own telescopic text by having each student add to the existing sentence below the original, passing the sheets around the group. I hope it helps! It's almost like a circle story, but it teaches the students about adding details.

I have also reverted back to my own childrens' first or second grade early readers (phonics readers). I give each student their own story book consisting of all simple sentences and have them turn it into a "seventh grade" story by adding details and figurative language and, of course, compound or complex sentences.
MrsPic is offline   Reply With Quote

RaceFan18

Thank you!!!
Old 01-04-2012, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

MrsPic, I love that website!!! That will be very helpful! I like your idea about the early readers also. Thank you for taking the time to share your ideas!!! I'm excited to get started!
RaceFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote