Help

Writing & Language Arts

Vivid Verbs Lesson

>

joy9585

Vivid Verbs Lesson
Old 01-10-2012, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm giving a demo lesson on Thursday and I plan on doing a lesson on using more descriptive verbs in writing. Do you have any good, hands-on, interactive lessons on verbs I can incorporate into my self-contained lesson (no homework or follow-up)? It's for a large 9th grade class. Any advice would be tops! Thank you!

joy9585 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachinpitt

Vocab Continuums
Old 01-10-2012, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I put two 'boring' words on either end of a spectrum ( 'bad' on one end and 'horrific' on the other end for instance)...I then have the students use online or book resources to find 8-10 synonyms for 'bad'. They then place them on the continuum closer or farther from the two end words...this allows for kinetic movement...finally, we have a friendly 'debate' about each word's placement..."too far left..too far right" etc.
This really allows the kids to use higher level thinking in their word ranking...

other pairs: ugly-hideous, warm-scorching, quick-supersonic, big-colossal, etc.

if you have time, have velcro type cards so they are easy to manipulate and kids more apt to move them around...
teachinpitt is offline   Reply With Quote

joy9585

Wow!
Old 01-10-2012, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's so clever! I'm not sure if I'll have enough thesauruses for them to use (I heard it's a class of 32), and there's one computer in the room...but I LOVE that idea! I'll definitely have to keep it in mind. Thank you for the wonderful tip.

teachinpitt

Vocab Continuum
Old 01-10-2012, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

big class...break into groups of 5 or so...have them do own rankings then have the groups compare/debate their rankings...

little resources? 9th grade, they should be able to come up with 6-8 words from their memory that are synonymous with 'big', small, slow, fast, talk, go/went, etc...

good luck.

teachinpitt

another site
Old 01-10-2012, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

http://penningtonpublishing.com/blog...bs-in-writing/

MrsPic

Wordle
Old 01-10-2012, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Here's another way to have students practice identifying new words for "spent" words. If you haven't tried wordle.com give it a try! You'll love it!
Attached Files
File Type: docx Went is Spent.docx (319.0 KB, 401 views)
MrsPic is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Shades of meaning in synonyms
Old 01-10-2012, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
They then place them on the continuum closer or farther from the two end words...this allows for kinetic movement...finally, we have a friendly 'debate' about each word's placement..."too far left..too far right" etc.
This really allows the kids to use higher level thinking in their word ranking...
I have fourth graders who are mostly English Language Learners. For this group, vocabulary development and learning about the fine nuances of synonyms needs to be explicitly discusssed. For several years I've done something similar, where my students and I brainstormed various 'over-used' words.
  • Students brainstormed synonyms for the various words.
  • They wrote the individual words on sticky notes and then had discussions about how they would rank the words from strongest to weakest (or vice-versa).
  • As they discussed, they placed the sticky notes with the words in a column.
  • Once they were satisfied with their rankings, they shared out their results with another team and had to defend their decisions. Sometimes they ended up reorganizing their rankings.
(The follow-up bulletin board idea was triggered by a Pinterest idea pinned by "Hello Literacy" which was pointed out to me by PT friend, StephR.)
After the lists were completed, students chose a 'paint strip' on which they wrote their words.
At this point they better understood the word meanings and how a synonym isn't just 'another word that means the same thing', but how there are slight differences in their 'shades of meaning.'

Maybe you can take teachinpitt's idea in a similar fashion with verbs. (I posted a photo of three of their final word lists. I also have a couple more pictures of the groups discussing and moving the words around, but this one shows the final result.)
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Last edited by Risa; 01-10-2012 at 10:18 PM..
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

joy9585

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2012, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for all the tips, guys! I had the demo lesson and it went well. I got the "second place" position that I, unfortunately, will not be able to take, as it would mean leaving my job with insurance for a six-week temporary position. But, hey, I made a good impression in a different district!

Thanks again!

pirateguy

Old 02-19-2012, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Great idea on ranking verbs.. I am in definite need to get these studets to use better words, especially verbs.
pirateguy is offline   Reply With Quote