Help

Fourth Grade

please help....language arts lesson

>

adc04

please help....language arts lesson
Old 04-16-2011, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a student teacher and I have an assignment that im having trouble with. I have to teach a 4th grade language arts lesson that includes music, theatre, and art. The lesson can be over anything thats taught in language arts. I then have to be able to extend that lesson with the music, art and theatre(3 separate lessons or extensions to the language arts lesson). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

adc04 is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

Old 04-16-2011, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Wow! Difficult assignment. The only thing I can think of right off the bat is a class-written short story that is then produced as a play or a puppet play. For the music part, there could be some lines that are sung.

Or you could go technical and have groups write the story, and then put in into a powerpoint presentation with background music. They'd have to decide which music is appropriate for the powerpoint. And the art is in choosing background colors and clip art..sort of media art. I'll bet someone can tell you how to use actual drawings kids have done.

Make the teacher happy and do something that they are tested on...like parts of speech or simile poems or something like that.
timeforbed is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Peter and The Wolf would be my choice
Old 04-16-2011, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It is such a great musical score. I would purchase the book with the CD, unless you can borrow it from your music teacher or the library. I would play the CD and allow the students to listen to the story with the music background. They can visualize what is happening from the text and the musical tone which sets the mood. They can then draw what they were visualizing from their favorite scene.

Then perhaps you can do a reader's theater of the story as well. Maybe the students can also create a backdrop painting for the play.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

kmob

simile and metaphor
Old 04-16-2011, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

How much music do you need? Do they have to sing/perform or could you just listen. If you can just listen you could do simile and metaphor pretty easily.

For simile and metaphor you could listen to songs such as Firework by Katy Perry, The River by Garth Brooks, or The Grinch (not really the right season). For more songs see this post http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=326251

You could have pairs of students illustrate each metaphor or simile and act it out as well. Each person is one half of the comparison, so they always understand that similes and metaphors are comparisons of at least two things.

Example:

Here's the first line from "Firework"
"Do you ever feel like a plastic bag
Drifting through the wind"

They listen to the song, then the pair that picks this would have a picture, illustration, whatever art project you choose showing a plastic bag in the wind and a picture of a person next to it (to show what is being compared). Then have them act out a plastic bag as well as show what it feels like to be lost and confused using facial expressions. Then the simile will come alive for them and they will understand that it is standing for an emotion.

Good luck, hope that helps
kmob is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Peter and the Wolf
Old 04-16-2011, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I found a reader's theater online. It has correlations to different subjects as well.

http://www.minnesotaorchestra.org/ed...wolf_part2.pdf

1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

Old 04-17-2011, 01:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Wow! Nice. You can find just about anything you need on-line! I hope the OP comes back and sees the post above.
timeforbed is online now   Reply With Quote

adc04

Old 04-17-2011, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

they do not have to sing/perform the song as long as they are engadged in it somehow. They have to do something with the song and not just listen to something playing in the background.
Thank you
adc04 is offline   Reply With Quote

2kiddies

Old 04-17-2011, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If you are looking for more of a grammar lesson, I would go with Shurley English. You can find some of the songs online. You could easily have the draw things such as nouns, adjectives, or prepositions.
2kiddies is offline   Reply With Quote