Help

New Teachers

Classroom Management

>

tsteve11

Classroom Management
Old 09-21-2012, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As a soon to be graduate I was wondering if anyone has positive classroom strategies that they use for classroom management that they have found to be most effective? I am an Intern and have seen the behavior charts for negative consequences and golden tickets for positive behaviors but am looking for something a little different. Classroom management is the one area that I feel I could improve upon and am looking for some suggestions.

tsteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote

missenglish

Old 09-21-2012, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think it really depends on the age group. However, whatever system you do chose needs to be consistent. I teach HS and we have school wide procedures to follow: 1st offense: warning, 2nd: reflection sheet and parent phone call, 3rd: student meeting with counselor, 4th: office referral. Our system works for me because I follow it consistently and the consequences are the same for every kid, and they know what to expect.

I do give out tickets randomly for good behavior. Tickets go into a bucket and every Friday I pull two winners for every class. Even at there age, they love this.
missenglish is offline   Reply With Quote

jady_marie

Old 09-21-2012, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Read the book The Cornerstone . This book has everything!
jady_marie is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Management
Old 09-21-2012, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am loving Whole Brain Teaching!!
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

tsteve11

Thanks
Old 09-22-2012, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for the tips. I will certainly check out the book for tips on classroom management.

claudiann

what I do
Old 09-22-2012, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I use a daily agenda/homework notebook. Students write their homework in it and parents are supposed to initial it nightly. Each day before the kids go home I put a check plus, a check with a quick note as to why it wasn't a check plus, or a check minus with a note (usually something serious). At the end of the week kids with all check pluses get a treat. Kids with check pluses also get special privileges such as working at stations instead of at their desk, lining up first etc. Kids with checks or check minuses miss recess. A lot of times if there is a problem I will say "bring me your agenda" and I note it right away. I can also put comments or stickers with the check pluses. I also have a record of documentation of behavior in the notebook if needed.
claudiann is offline   Reply With Quote

BlueLupine

Variety of strategies
Old 09-22-2012, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

As Miss English pointed out, age is important, as is consistency. Whole Brain and the Cornerstone both have some great techniques. I think it's also key to differentiate for individual students. The first grade classroom I'm observing has one students that likes to get out of her seat to talk. The teacher asked her to trace a letter (one that she has trouble writing) each time before she gets up to ask a question or share something; this solution helps with the student's behavior and academics at the same time. Another student likes to draw all over his work, so she gave him a special drawing notebook that he gets to use when he finishes an assignment.

For the whole class, she gives them points when other teachers in the hallway or special classes give them compliments. Table groups can also earn points for cleaning up their space, working quietly, etc. She also has a system of cards that students can flip for extra helpful behaviors or challenging behaviors, and at the end of the day they color in a chart in their take-home folders so families are kept up-to-date on their progress.

Other resources you might be interested in are Discipline without Stress, Punishment or Rewards; Punished by Rewards (Alfie Kohn); and Marvin Marshall's Raise Responsibility System.

It's great that you're thinking about dealing with these issues before you get your own class. Good luck!
BlueLupine is offline   Reply With Quote

tsteve11

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2012, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have been given some really great tips on classroom management. I agree that consistency is key to what ever behavior management system I choose. It was interesting to hear while some of you had school wide systems you also choose to have classroom behavior systems as well. This is a topic I am sure I will continue to work on throughout my career as an educator.

cmariem

Old 10-18-2012, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

An idea for classroom managment is that each student has a jar on the desk with a slot on top ONLY big enough for coins to go in and not come out (so students don't play with them). When a student completes homework, particpates, or whatever you think deserves a coin the student receieves a coin. When the jar is full or to a point you want the students to stop collecting coins, the students use those coins for a store where they can buy things with there coins. Hope this helps!!
cmariem is offline   Reply With Quote

teachsandbox

Dojo
Old 10-18-2012, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Do you have a SmartBoard? Our teachers have found DOJO behavior management is transforming their teaching!!! Good luck.

teachsandbox is offline   Reply With Quote