Help

The VENT

Looping questions

>

cuteteach25

Looping questions
Old 05-22-2020, 10:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Classes are done. I'm looping with most of my class to the next primary grade. I had to put a few of my students in other classes for next year and take some in from other classes. I'm a little worried about what the families of the kids taken out will think. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I think they'll be happy with the teachers their children are with, except for maybe one.
Has anyone else looped with most of your class and not keep a group of them? If so, how many did you not keep and what was the outcome? Or, what is your experience? Is this a good idea or is it better to keep them all? It was not possible for me to keep them all though.
Thank you in advance for your ideas!

cuteteach25 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 05-22-2020, 11:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my building, when a teacher has looped they keep every kid from their class (unless a parent opts out). I've never looped myself though. After a whole year with the same group of kids, I need a break from them. Other teachers though have really enjoyed it, and starting the year already knowing where the kids are.
TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-23-2020, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I looped once and it was the best experience of my career. I kept all my kids and got one brand new kid from out of state. The whole point of looping is to keep all your kids so Iím not sure why you moved some. I probably would have called the parents and talked to them about it beforehand. Will those kids not looping feel left out or did the parents ask to have them moved?
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

rana712

I looped
Old 05-23-2020, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

from K to 1. Parents had the option to opt out, but none did. It was great. i saved a lot of time at the beginning of the year- kids already knew my expectations. And... I later moved to 4th grade and had most of them for a 3rd year.

When I looped, I really wanted one child to opt out as it had been a very rough year. But I found that a second year with this little guy worked out well for both of us.
rana712 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Looping
Old 05-23-2020, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When looping was done at my school the entire class moved to the next grade level with their teacher. The whole idea is for students to have a teacher for more than one year, so I'm not sure why some kids are going to other teachers and you are getting others you aren't instructing now.

Last edited by travelingfar; 05-23-2020 at 12:58 PM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 05-23-2020, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We often do that but usually because of a multiage class and the next year the teacher does a straight grade.

I don't think there is anything wrong with some kids not looping. Sometimes those kids need a break from the kids or the teacher needs a break from the kid. You may need to break up some kids that are too clingy or dependent on others.

I would also think there would be parents ready for a new teacher. .

As long as a nicely worded note went home to all parents about creating new class lists geared toward making the best fits for children for the next year, I think parents should be as good as they are going to be. You can't please everyone, so don't stress about it.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

LoveMyNature

Looping
Old 05-23-2020, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The only way Iíve seen it done is to do permission slips to all the parents to have their child continue in your class. Those who opted out were moved and replaced with a kid of a similar level or behavior level to balance out the class. All students were given the chance to loop or not.

I think maybe you will have some parents and students with hurt feelings (even if you think they wouldnít mind). It might look like you picked favorites for the next year (even if you didnít).

I would consider sending out information to parents ahead of time to give them the choice.
LoveMyNature is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Looping
Old 05-23-2020, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I did it once from K to 1st. I sent a letter to every parent asking if they wanted to stay or go. 3 left....two were twins and needed to be separated, and one needed a new group of friends.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Looping
Old 05-23-2020, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Generally speaking, when I hear looping, I think the teacher keeps all of the same kids, unless A)a kid is moving or B) the kid's parents opt out. I know occasionally new students may come in, too, if they are new to the school. However, in my experience, the teacher kept the same group of kids.

We had one situation where a teacher looped from K to 1. Her class was to die for. REALLY good kids...with the exception of ONE student. This student was extremely violent, constantly hurting the kids by throwing tables, chairs, etc. He pushed book cases over on kids. The police had to get involved many times, but with him being 5, there wasn't a whole lot they could do. The kid did qualify for EBD halfway through 1st grade, but they still had him mainstreamed with just pull out EBD services. Anyway, this teacher looped from K to 1 with every kid but him. That was her request. She wanted to loop, and the principal wanted her to, too, but she said she would only loop if he was not in the class.

While I totally understood where the teacher was coming from, I don't really think I agree with this. How sad for the kid! At the beginning of 1st grade before the EBD identification, his behaviors escalated even more so than kindergarten and it made me wonder if he was acting out out of frustration because all of his former classmates where in one class with the same teacher and he wasn't. No matter how badly this student misbehaved, I still felt badly for him. Deep down he really was a good kid, but he needed more support in bringing that out. In the end, I think his first grade teacher was really good for him. He changed a lot after the EBD identification. Gradually he became less violent and his sweet side emerged. He just really needed to learn right from wrong, coping strategies, anger management, etc.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 05-23-2020, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I looped once from 4th to 5th. I kept most of my kids, except parents were allowed to opt out. A couple did, but it had more to do with the fact there was a very popular male 5th grade teacher and a lot of parents wanted their kids in his class. I did find it hurtful but it was my second year teaching and a new grade level for me, so I kind of understood. I ended up having a really good class and great year! After that, I taught 4/5 multiage, so I kept my kids for two years and each year half stayed (5th) and half new (4th). I absolutely loved it and they were my favorite years of teaching. The beginning of the year was so easy because the older kids taught the younger kids procedures.

annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

Veggirl

Hmmm...
Old 05-23-2020, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have looped K/1 for the past 6 years. I love it. While it's never exactly the same class with move-ins/outs it's very close. Changing so many of the kids in the class wouldn't feel like looping. Was this done to even out numbers in the next grade? I know next year I will be adding 6 or 7 because we're losing a first grade teacher.
Veggirl is offline   Reply With Quote

azteach88

Looped Twice
Old 05-23-2020, 09:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We mixed up the kids both times due to behavior issues mainly. Unless you have your dream class, looping with the same kids doesnít always make for a happy teacher.
azteach88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

First, I am sorry you could not keep the
Old 05-23-2020, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

class intact. I have done both. Usually intact, but 1 yr, we had to take some kids out due to a new teacher who came 2 weeks into the year due to overcrowding.
The yr went fine. I think 1 person kind of had hurt feelings because she was a mom of 1 of the kids moved out. Mom was friends w/ a really unprofessional teacher who told her that I had picked who to move.........GRRR!
I loved her kid a lot and he was a wonderful student, but I would not dump my 5 lowest on a new teacher.
I did give her a couple though! I kept a few too!
Summerwillcom is online now   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

You are not looping
Old 05-23-2020, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

You are changing grade levels. Looping is when you keep all of your kids.

That is what one of our teachers is doing this year.

She is moving from 3rd grade to 4th. She is keeping some of her class and others will be distributed among the other classes. The families donít know (and neither does most of the staff). In the fall, the parents will be told that the 4th grade opening became available in the summer after a 4th grade teacher resigned and classes were already set. Itís a white lie that I think will ease the disappointments.
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 05-23-2020, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Quote:
You are changing grade levels. Looping is when you keep all of your kids.
Exactly.
I am retired now but this was the situation every year at our school.
We had several classes at each grade level. Staff assignments changed every year based on student numbers and staffing allotments.
Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote

cuteteach25

Yes!
Old 05-23-2020, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Thank you all! I guess it's not necessarily looping since it's not the whole class. I do have a student I'm keeping that has challenging behavior, but is not violent. I didn't keep all the kids because of this and a few of the parents had already put in requests for other teachers before I found out my grade level. I was able to switch out one third of the kids and keep the other two thirds. The other two thirds don't have problems with the student. Our grade level team is strong so I hope parents will be happy whoever they get. Thank you so much for your ideas and advice!
Emily26

Emily26

That's...not looping.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Moving up a grade and only keeping your favorite kids isn't looping, not at all. The idea is to hit the ground running the first day of school, instead of spending weeks getting to know a new class.

Ima Teacher

Old 05-23-2020, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I changed levels with the kids who graduated this year. I moved from 7th to 8th grade with them. I was able to choose kids I definitely wanted back and kids I definitely did not want back. The rest were randomly placed.

It was really great.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 05-23-2020, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I couldn't figure out how you could loop and now keep your same class. Then I read this

Quote:
You are not looping. You are changing grade levels. Looping is when you keep all of your kids.
Yes! That is what you are doing. And changing grade levels means you'll have some of the same kids but not all of them, just by moving.

I think if the bulk of your previous class is in your class next year, there will be lots of questions from parents of those who didn't "get chosen." I think it should be an even mix of students from the entire grade for each teacher (so each teacher in the grade gets about the same number of randomly-selected students from your class this year) OR you should loop with all students.

I taught a mixed-grade classroom, and I loved having the same students for two years. They already knew my rules, so we didn't have to spend quite as much time establishing routines (we definitely had to review and practice them, of course) and I already knew what they had been taught the second year and could pick up where we left off.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 05-23-2020, 09:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

GraceKrispy, those are some of the things I loved about teaching multiage, too! I miss those days.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

SoDone

Looping
Old 05-24-2020, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I looped first 3 years (6th-8th) by choice but never got to keep the exact same groups. Schedules are randomly sorted by computer where I was. I missed the kids I lost out on and I got some real questionable ones in but I wouldn't do it differently. I got to know a lot of different ones and I would have missed out on that if I had kept my original "dream team".
SoDone is offline   Reply With Quote

cuteteach25

Thank you👍
Old 05-24-2020, 10:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I did not just keep favorites or high kids. I did keep some good kids, but that's naturally going to happen when you keep most of your class. And, the other classes have good kids too. I kept all of my low kids and my behavior kids except for one that I think will do better with another teacher. One of my behavior kids I kept is very challenging, so much so that I had to move out a lot of my good kids to give them a break.
This class will be lower academically too as I took on more low achieving students. So, it's not the dream team, but it is a group that I know where they're coming from so that's the advantage. I can help my low kids sooner because I know what they need to work on already. I also know the families and which ones I need to push to try harder right off the bat.
I'm glad you mentioned this point of view because if I had to choose again, I will not try looping or keeping most of my class because you just can't win. I did it before a few years ago when I moved up grade levels and it went very well. There were no complaints or drama, but I can see one fellow teacher in this grade level being drama about it even though I'm doing everyone a favor keeping the particularly challenging kid for another year plus another behavior, and most of my high kids are in other classes. I really stressed about having my very challenging student again, but I felt it was the right thing to do if I was to keep most of my class. And, this student has a hard home life so I thought I could give some stability.