Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Garage Sale Question

>

Cinderella00

Garage Sale Question
Old 06-03-2020, 05:46 AM

We have tons of stuff. DH has dementia, and can't use most of his stuff anymore. It's a huge collection of tools, fishing equipment and other things. A large shed full. Plus all the other accumulated junk of 20 years of living in this home (with 2 large sheds).

I have thrown lots out, but there's some really good stuff here. There's no way in I want to price all this stuff. I don't want to look up how much he paid to figure out what's quality and which is cheaper knock-offs.

I've heard of having garage sales where everything is placed out and it's a "pay what you think it's worth" price. Saves me haggling, and time and stress. But I'm not sure if I'd be taken advantage of.

Anyone every tried selling this way?

**And I should add that I'm not planning on holding the garage sale any time soon. While my state is almost completely opened up, I'm not up for having that many people around yet.

Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

anabel12

Estate sale company
Old 06-03-2020, 05:58 AM

We had the same situation when we moved Mom to a Senior Residence. My father had tons of tools that we had no idea what to do with. So we called an estate sale company. They take 35% in our area, which seemed fair since we had no idea what anything was worth, they sorted, set up, and cleaned up. There was no way we could have done what they did. They advertised on Facebook and since they have a following, there were people lined up at 3 am to go through things. We might have priced things to low, or too high. Plus they hauled everything away that didn't sell. Might be worth checking out. When you're ready.
anabel12 is offline   Reply With Quote

rana712

We are going to do it this way
Old 06-03-2020, 05:59 AM

We are going to be downsizing. We also have tons of stuff. Are we going to get what the items are "worth"? No, of course not. We had to come to grips with the realization that our goal was not to make money, but was in reality to "rehome" things that still are useable. We are going to have a pay what you think it is worth... I am hopeful to get enought money for a dinner out! But maybe I will be surprised.
rana712 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 06-03-2020, 06:00 AM

I would check around and see if there are any companies who would come in and just buy the whole lot from you. Or alternatively run a sale for you. Companies that do auctions and estate sales are places I would contact.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 06-03-2020, 06:03 AM

I have done a couple of garage sales and placed signs stating something like:

Everything on this table is $5 each

Fill a bag for $10. (And provided bags)

Yes, people will take advantage and still try to bargain you down. Then it was my discretion (and depending on their attitude) whether I would deal with them. For me, I just wanted to get rid of the stuff so I was quite lenient.
I also really let things go cheaper closer to the end of the day.

This might not have answered your questions.....

Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 06-03-2020, 06:11 AM

I've held a couple of yard sales before. (I had better stuff to sell the 1st time.) I didn't want to go through too much trouble either, but I still grouped items into a few groups in which everything in each group was the same price, I believe.

Arrange the pricier stuff closer towards your home so if anyone steals and runs off with anything, at least they would have run off with the cheapest/cheaper item.

At the very end, I was selling everything left for $1 because I was trying to have to pack up as little as possible.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

selling tools, etc.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:20 AM

When our BIL passed and my SIL was ready to organize a sale, DH went online to check the value of many of his woodworking tools and supplies. It was very helpful. Many items were first offered to his woodworking buddies. She put some things online in addition to having a yard sale. Any time she sold anything, she always had a male friend present.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 06-03-2020, 06:52 AM

I have done yard sales this way, but I was selling such things as used kid's toys and well worn furniture. My main goal was to get rid of stuff and get it to someone who could make use of it. When I had more valuable items, I did price them, but was willing to dicker.

I have also done the $1 table, $10 table idea with success. Saves pricing each individual item.

I too have tools to get rid of, as well as fancy customized bicycles and over a hundred small original sculptures. Maybe I should look into an auction...but I am in no hurry.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 06-03-2020, 07:34 AM

Thanks everyone. Sounds like others have done what I'm kind-of thinking.

I looked into an auction - we really don't have enough. I have no plans on moving and I'm in my early 50's. (DH has REALLY early onset dementia). So I'm keeping a lot of the better stuff for me, the kind of stuff that would make an auction attractive.

I'll keep setting things aside until I'm ready to go.

Thanks, and keep the ideas coming!
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Good Luck!
Old 06-03-2020, 07:55 AM

I am of no help at all but want to wish you luck with getting some cash pack on all his goodies.

1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 06-03-2020, 10:14 AM

I would contact and estate sale business.
My friend did this for her in-laws home and belongings.

Quote:
We had to come to grips with the realization that our goal was not to make money, but was in reality to "rehome" things that still are useable.
This is us. Not downsizing. Just getting rid of stuff, stuff, and more stuff!! We donate things to a local woman's shelter resale shop. Makes me feel good knowing where the $$ ate going.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 06-03-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I've heard of having garage sales where everything is placed out and it's a "pay what you think it's worth" price. Saves me haggling, and time and stress. But I'm not sure if I'd be taken advantage of.
The point of those types of garage sales is to get rid of stuff, not to make money. The money is just kind of a bonus. You won't get anywhere near what you think it's worth (which is usually more than it's actual worth anyway as people always overvalue their own possessions) and you will probably get some people who will pay less than they would have if you'd put a sticker on it, but at the end of the day, you'll have less stuff and some mad money, and that, in my opinion, is a win.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-03-2020, 01:01 PM

My mom first called my dad’s fishing and woodworking buddies, and they got first shot at things.

As far as pricing, you’d better have some price in mind or people will drive you crazy asking. The suggestion above about having a $5 table, fill a bag for x amount, etc., is good. Way easier and will save your sanity.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvReading2

Tools
Old 06-03-2020, 01:18 PM

My brother-in-law belongs to a woodworking club and he said sometimes they are called to give advice to people about how much to charge for tools that they are selling.
LuvReading2 is offline   Reply With Quote

heart4kids

I advise you not to go that route.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:30 PM

I have had numerous yard sales to sell parts of relative's estates. Most people are great but the professional picker sorts can be very, very intimidating and aggressive. They will "rob" you with their high pressure under-valued offers. Even if you price things, they will try to switch tags or say it must have fallen off or something. And sometimes they just pocket small items. One man snarled at me that all I was selling was the "sh*t" and when was I going to see all the good stuff he could see in my garage! Yikes!

Take your time and research their value. I would recommend doing a few items a week on Facebook Marketplace or any of the "For Sale In..." pages. I've had good luck with that. Maybe a friend could help you or hire it done for a commission. Once you get the larger items down, a yard sale for the inexpensive stuff would be more advisable. Good luck. I am sorry that your husband's health is a problem. Hugs to you.
heart4kids is offline   Reply With Quote

daffodils

lots
Old 06-04-2020, 02:02 AM

You could sell things as lots.

All Fishing Gear as a set--$X
All Tools--$X

Or--"The contents of this shed" (share photos) for $X.

Advertise on FB Marketplace or a yard sale group and take a lot of photos and then people just come and collect. Make sure to specify they must provide their own labor and vehicle.
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote