Help

Physical Education

Class participation

>

eddy1

Class participation
Old 01-25-2009, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a PE teacher K-8 and can get structured activity with good participation. The only problem is that it's gotten from the boys. In particularly 6-8 I find the girls off and just chatting away, and not doing much at all. I've tried to officiate well and keep the boys from being too aggressive, but the girls are not getting into it. I do volleyball, basketball, running, etc. and try to keep it as involved as possible. Desperately, I've tried to suggest Cheerleading; no results. I understand Female issues do come up and I have to respect that; but that starts to come up frequently and is used way too much. Any suggestions please?

eddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

KLJackson

KLJackson

Utilizing the females
Old 02-11-2009, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My suggestion would be change the rules so that a girl has to touch the ball at least one time in rotation before a score or hit back over the net. For instance, if playing basketball, before the team can score a basket, a girl must have passed the ball or taken a shot before the score counts. Better yet, get away from traditional PE and begin a fitness program with stations and small side gams which forces the girls to be active, forget the "cheerleading" thing, all girls are not into that. I teach 6-8 and have been teaching 13 years...
TeachPE

TeachPE

"New Physical Education"
Old 02-26-2009, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My main suggesstion is similar to the PP. Move away from the traditional sport oriented physical education programs, and move toward the “New Physical Education” which is fitness oriented. My students love participating in the fitness programs I have created for them. Keep it fun and something everyone can participate in. Everyday students run in the gym to see what workout or fitness activity we are doing for that particular day. My students are required to participate in every activity, and they know I don’t put up with any “lazies” (lazy students). Remember that the overall goal for physical education is to promote life-long physical activity and healthy lifestyles.

RebeccaH

Yoga
Old 03-16-2009, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My son teaches year 6 and he has introduced yoga. The kids love it and so do the parents. He has had so many comments about it. He has also introduced timing their runs. They record how far they ran in a certain time. Each child is building their own distance up. Earlier in maths they measured distances so they have a record of that.
RebeccaH is offline   Reply With Quote