Help

Physical Education

Getting Started on PE classes

>

floridagirl

Getting Started on PE classes
Old 07-27-2007, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Help! My school is now implementing a PE curriculum; before now we were allowed to play simple games or have freeplay. My problem is that I am completely unathletic and am a little concerned about my ability to teach physical education to my students. I teach fourth grade, so it shouldn't be too complicated, but I was wondering if anyone had any great advice/ideas/websites to share.

floridagirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Savannah

Re: Getting Started on PE classes
Old 08-13-2007, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

PE Central is a great place to start!
You can search by activity/sport or grade level.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote

tampamom

Same boat!
Old 08-22-2007, 02:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the post! I teach 5th grade and have no idea what I am going to do the 3 days a week I have to "direct" teacher p.e. Hopefully our fellow teachers here can be of service!
tampamom is offline   Reply With Quote

drose

Physical Education Help
Old 09-22-2007, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am a k-5 Physical Education Teacher and would be happy to help with some ideas and lessons but I need more information. What type of facility do you have? Do you have access to a gym, field, or simply your classroom. Do you have any equipment? How much time do you have for your lesson? There are some great websites, PeCentral as mentioned, but give me a bit more info on your situation and I would be glad to offer some ideas and lessons.

Donna
drose is offline   Reply With Quote

Jsjones1117

P.E. Help
Old 09-29-2007, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Here is my dilemma if anyone can help. I have 1-4 th grade for PE. I teach at a private school. I teach all subjects all day to 3-4. There are 20 kids. We have really have no equipment. We have been doing aerobics which they love. We have an hour one day a week. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great.

Jsjones1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jamifer

Equipment ideas
Old 05-09-2008, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Dollar Tree is great for equipment... you can also get creative and make equipment. I use to use old gallon milk jugs as catching equipment. Just cut off around the top (but not the handle) you wnat an openning bing enough to catch bean bags, balls, etc. Take a pool noodle and cut it into 2 inch pieces, cut it in half for tag games (look up noodle games and you will get tons of ideas) If you can reuse old items (like empty kitty litter containers for buckets) you'll also be teaching the students to recycle everyday common items. Also see if anybody has old equipment that they never use.... I use to get free freesbie whenever I went to festivals and donated them to my school! Teachers were always cleaning out their kids closets or their attics and I got a lot of really neat gym equpiment like weights and dyna bands that way!
Jamifer is offline   Reply With Quote

teeechfirst

more easy PE
Old 08-09-2008, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I went to a week long PE workshop at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA 5 years ago and I have loved teaching PE ever since. They have it every year in the summer. I get my other primary teachers to join me and I lead the program. We start with all the kids following my lead to warming up to music. I make it up as I go. They love. We then set up simple stations. EX: hoops, basket balls, tennis balls, jump ropes, milk cartons. Each teacher takes a station and decides what the kids will do at that station with the equipment. We then rotate if we have enough time. The most important thing in PE is that EVERYONE is moving at all times! If you have to do this on your own just do one or two stations. Enjoy
teeechfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Pbruc

Pbruc

Starting PE
Old 11-16-2008, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi:
I'm starting a PE position for k-8 at a charter school. The school has some equipment; 5 basketballs, a net, a tetherball. hockey sticks, ball inflater, etc. There's no grassy field, basically a court of cement 2 acres, 6 baskets for basketballs, and an indoor about the size of a classroom for rainy day things. I've done PE as a substitute before, I found it every bit as challenging as a regular classroom. The principal is just giving me a regular application not a contract. Well, any ideas? The kids seem pretty good and they want a PE teacher. Anything, thanks. Paul

dtalbott

PE Slideshows
Old 11-23-2008, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm a regular classroom teacher and also do my own PE.
I do put pictures of many of my PE lessons on my website.
I've gradually built up my own supply of equipment and spent lots of money at the Dollar Tree store or Target.

teacherweb.com/CA/Golden/MissTalbott/

(Look under the category "Fitness Fun")
dtalbott is offline   Reply With Quote

giver1940

Equipment
Old 08-23-2009, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Would love to give you ideas for equipment. Some are easy so could put them here and will if you'd like, but some take a little more explanation thabn there is room for on this. I'm new to this site so don't know if I'm allowed to post an email address so you can contact me directly or not. If you know, let me know and I'll send my address to you so we can get the information to you. Do you need outdoor or indoor equipment? Pantyhose, tennis balls, bubble wrap, ties, tape measures, feathers, frisbees, noodles are some of the stuff that works.

giver1940 is offline   Reply With Quote

anerol

Fun P.E. Lessons
Old 09-15-2010, 11:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hi! I'm new to this web and just saw your post and pics....I had a huge smile just seeing your(dtalbott) "fitness fun pictures". Your kids look like they are having lots of fun! So my question is where did you get all those cool and creative games? I'm currently teaching P.E. in a small private school, have about 16 students (vary in age 5-12), have some equipmnt (bean bags, hoops, dodge balls, jump ropes, cones), and about 20 mins 4 days a week for P.E. Can you help me out?
anerol is offline   Reply With Quote

Ideabaker

dtalbott PE Activities
Old 09-16-2010, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Hi dtalbott, like the Original Poster, I also am not very athletic and have been charged with the task of leading thirty minutes of Fitness Activities a day. My mixed age class is ages 10-13.

They are getting a bit tired of running, soccer, and the one traditional game (I teach in a remote area in New Zealand with a local tribe) that I know. I have NO help to teach me new games.

Being "cool" tweens means most games are "dumb" and "boring" (kid's language). But looking at your chicken games made me laugh as my kids would totally find any chicken games (over under, pass the chicken) to be novel and hilarious. Not too many of them but certainly a few every now and then to spice things up.

I'm also curious about where you get your P.E. ideas?

Cheers!
Ideabaker is offline   Reply With Quote