Help

Physical Education

NEW to 4th Grade PE

>

twirls-a-lot

NEW to 4th Grade PE
Old 08-01-2009, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be teaching PE to 1 class of 4th graders. PE at my school has been a JOKE over the past few years....the PE teachers DON'T teach and let the kids do whatever they want. The majority of our school's discipline problems stem from PE and lack of supervision!!!!

Since I will be responsible for 1 class of students, I kinda want to do my own thing...really teach skills and play games/sports etc. My state does have a PE curriculum outline, but it is very vague and skill oriented. One of the PE teachers has already written plans to use for the whole year [a total of maybe 10 that she plans to reuse over and over again] but I'm wondering if I need to relook it all and go it alone. There is no stipulation that says I have to do what the rest of them do. I just don't want my kids to feel "left out" of the free-for-all and feel like I am the worst PE teacher ever!

twirls-a-lot is offline   Reply With Quote

Malibu Surfer

Go for it!
Old 08-12-2009, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I say do what you want. It is YOUR class. I teach 5th but am responsible for teaching PE. Last year, I asked my students what they wish they learned more about. Some of their responses were that they wanted to learn more about sports. They said I always encouraged them to participate, but they wished they were taught HOW to play the different sports. It's hard to find time to do it every day, but this year I'm going to do a sport a month. I'll teach them the basic rules and skills (in class), then do practice drills (to check for understanding), last have games on Fridays. We'll see how it works, but I think they enjoy a structured PE time.

Also, one suggestion a PE teacher told me was to have one game that's cometitive and one that's not (so the shy and nonathletic students can play without being embarassed or discouraged). This will work well if you have 32 students like me!

Hope I helped after all that!

Ps You won't be the "worst PE teacher ever" because as long as you take them out and get into it, they'll enjoy having that outside time with you!
Malibu Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
PE Oklahoma

PE Oklahoma

PE Teacher
Old 04-19-2012, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

To repeat the same plans over and over again is doing the students a disservice. First you need to come up with a curriculum that you can follow that will not only teach the children basic skills but also allow them to play games based on the skills that they are learning. You are not there to be friends with the students....you want to be respected for being the teacher that showed the students what PE is supposed to be. It is not a free for all( I know, I stepped into just such a situation), children are there to learn fundamental skills and play techniques that they can carry up to the next level. We set the stage for these students to either be active and healthy or couch potatoes. Be your own teacher, follow what you know is right and then follow through. Best of luck!

Phyllis

Two ideas
Old 04-19-2012, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The PE teacher at the school where I taught did two things that I liked a lot.

He divided the class into 4 groups. At the start of class each group went to one of the 4 corners of the gym. There posted on the wall were 2 warm up exercises (different for each corner). He called out 1, and everyone did exercise 1 for a minute, then he did two . Then they rotated to a different corner. This could be shortened to one exercise in each corner. Then they gathered in front of his chair and he told them what they would be doing.

When class was almost over, he assembled them back at his chair and calmed them down (in case there had been any disputes or over-competitiveness. Last he dismissed them to walk to the door and line up without talking. It helped so much that they never brought any PE problems back to class.
Phyllis is offline   Reply With Quote