Help

Physical Education

New PE Teacher--HELP!

>

Warrior2012

New PE Teacher--HELP!
Old 09-08-2012, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi!! I am a new teacher and working at a very small school where I teach PE (elementary teacher k-6, but no PE experience). I am having a hard time building a curriculum...I have a lot for equipment and also have a gym, field, and baseball field but I do not know where to start. Any ideas for units???

Also, I am having an easier time entertaining the older kids, but any ideas for younger kids...It is a combined k/1 class.

Thank you!!

Warrior2012 is offline   Reply With Quote

giver1940

Try this site
Old 09-09-2012, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

http://www.pedagonet.com/PhysEd/physed.htm

It should give you some ideas.

Contact your state PE organization and see if they have some suggestions or contact another school in your area and see if they will share their curriculum with you.
giver1940 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warrior2012

Old 09-09-2012, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for the ideas! I could not reply to a PM so thought I would try this...

What CD's have you used in the past?

Also, for the 2/3 and 4/5 class, do you have unit suggestions and lengths? Could I spend a week on football, then move to baseball, etc.? Also what is a good unit to start with?

As you can tell, I am pretty lost. Thank you for all the advice!!

Momjo

P.e.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Congrats on your new job! As a former P.E. teacher, I can say it is tiring, but a lot of fun! The answer to your questions depends on what part of the country you live in (can they go outside most of the year or only Fall and Spring?), and how often and how long are the classes?

I would certainly spend more than one week on a unit..more like 4-6 weeks. There are so many skills to teach and lots of fun games to play! Don't forget some form of calesthetics(strength and flexibility) and running for endurance...maybe at the beginning of your classtime.

Focus on what is popular in your area schools - soccer? basketball? tennis? Also think about lifelong skills - golf, badminton, jogging. There are also some unconventional P.E. activities you could try...tumbling, jumping rope, cup stacking, square dancing, etc.

Kids really need and usually love P.E. class!
Momjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Warrior2012

Old 10-08-2012, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you!

The school is in Minnesota...so we are outside now, but come Nov/Dec, most of the days will be spent in doors.

My football unit has been a HUGE hit! This is our last week and we have been at it about 4 weeks now. We are wrapping the unit up with a game of flag football this week.

I believe our next unit will be soccer. Any suggestions? Or suggestions for a different 2nd unit? The kids seem to be interested in soccer so I wanted to sneak a unit in, but I do not know much about soccer at all. Football I had no problems with, but soccer is not a strong sport of mine. Any advice?

Again, I have only had 1 PE class in college, so this is all new to me Thank you!