Help

Physical Education

Masters in Physical Education!!

>

mcalhoun7598

Masters in Physical Education!!
Old 09-27-2012, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently studying for a degree in Elementary Education but my ultimate goal is to become an elementary school P.E. teacher. I figured I would be a classroom teacher to get a job in the system, and then get a Masters in Physical Education so I can take the spot if a P.E. job becomes available. Does this sound like a good plan, and if so do you have any advice to make getting my Masters any easier?

mcalhoun7598 is offline   Reply With Quote

DrJay45

DrJay45

Master's in Physical Education
Old 10-30-2012, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think it sounds like a good idea but there are a couple things to consider. If you are certified in multiple areas, the school can place you in any area you are certified in. Even if you want to be an elementary school physical education teacher, they can place you in an elementary classroom since you are certified and qualified.

Also, some school districts will not pay you for advanced degrees if it is not in an area that you are currently teaching. This has been heavily disputed in my school district. Plus, with districts cutting or reducing physical education, physical education positions are very tough to find. In my state, school districts are still trying to find positions for teachers that are currently on the surplus list in every subject area. The only positions my school district is currently hiring are elementary education, math, science, and reading teachers.

I hope this helps!