Physical Education

Help! Management of older students

>

teachkidz14

Help! Management of older students
Old 09-23-2014, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone,
I have taken over a position as a P.E teacher for awhile. The young elementary students are manageable but the older students (4th, 5th) have major attitudes. Here are some issues I noticed and I would love any suggestions you have for managing these issues.

1. Students bicker during the game about what their role is--for example, playing flag football they begun to argue about who should be where, etc, etc even though they know. Many students don't participate and walk around the field instead of being actively engaged.

2. The former teacher took roll call and when she does they are talkative and say other things besides HERE. What can I do to make this a non management issue? And yes, I have to take roll because I don't know the 200 plus names I am working with.

3. Lining up--older kids WONT stop talking. How do you get them to be quiet in line while waiting for their teacher?

4. Attitudes--what can I do to get through the eye rolling and drama these older students bring to playing sports?

5. Incentives--should I offer any? To get through my time with the older kids I was thinking of coming up with some kind of system...where the best 4th/5th grade class gets a free choice game day with me at the end of my time with them. Do you think this would be a wise idea? How to introduce and keep track so they can monitor it too? Do you think the former teacher would be angry if I tried something like this? He doesn't seem to want to keep in touch while out--so I do not want to even bother asking him.

TIA for any tips and responses to the above. I really appreciate it!!!

teachkidz14 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachkidz14

please help
Old 09-24-2014, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Today was terrible!! I had criers, refusers, and everything in between. I need advice!
teachkidz14 is offline   Reply With Quote

giver1940

I've been retired for a long time
Old 02-08-2015, 05:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

so don't know that I would be much help with most of your problems, but my kids all had to do rochambeau (rock, paper, scissors but the name intrigued them) to settle any disagreements. Not 2 out of 3; one time, and nothing but rock, paper, scissors - none of the other things they make up. It didn't take long for it to work, but like I said, it was a while back. I even saw them doing it at other times so I guess it worked.

Talk to the teachers and see if they would agree to work with you for a reward (no homework day, extra time out of class for a game with you or whatever) (or you could give the winner a coupon for a free play day when the others had class) for the class that was the quietest when they lined up until they were picked up. Maybe you could print up some kind of coupon and when a class had 5 coupons (or more) (increase it a little each six weeks), they got ???? That way there wouldn't be so many rewards.

See if the principal will let you give him/her a stash of small prizes (Oriental Trading or Michael's or Hobby Lobby or Party City come to mind about where to get them) and give individual coupons and when a kid has x#, they get to go to the principal, brag about their good behavior and get a prize.
giver1940 is offline   Reply With Quote

giver1940

Get student leaders and have them lead
Old 02-08-2015, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

exercises while you check roll. You can either get a set routine or make a set of cards with different routines and the leaders use them to know what to do next. We always varied how we counted - alphabet, count by twos (odd or even), count backwards, get spelling words from the teachers and use them for the counting.

If you have the capability, give them a specific space to stand for the exercises each day and check roll that way. If they're not in their space, they must be absent. It would be sort of like a seating chart in the classroom.

Don't know if I've been much help, but maybe your skills and imagination will take over and help you out.

What activities do you do? What kind of space do you have? How many in a class? What kind of equipment do you have? Do you have a curriculum?
giver1940 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Sit out?
Old 02-08-2015, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our gym teacher has great control. They have assigned spots to sit. They begin with exercises. If they don't exercise they don't play the game. He gives strikes. 3 strikes and they sit out. He keeps track in his grade book.

Hope that is helpful. I wouldn't be able to take the loudness that goes with it. Hang in there!

Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

MkTeach9

Old 10-16-2015, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The PE teachers where I am at always divide the students into teams of 5-6 students. For each new unit, the team assigns a 'coach'. Once a person has been a coach for a unit, they can not be coach again till everyone has been coach for a unit. Basically the coach is in charge of settling all disagreements. When students come crying to the teachers about an issue, the PE teachers immediately ask "what did the coach say?". If the PE teachers do need to step in, the discussion always takes place with the team coach and giving them advice on how to settle the issue.

If someone is being bullied physically/emotionally then the teachers will completely take over the situation.

Teams can be assigned athletic trainers (lead warm-ups) and team managers (responsible for attendance).
MkTeach9 is offline   Reply With Quote