Retired Teachers

Medicare Supplemental Insurance

>

d_ee

Medicare Supplemental Insurance
Old 12-20-2018, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,
I posted this on another board and it was suggested that I post here. I will be on Medicare this coming March and am being guided toward purchasing Mutual of Omaha for my supplemental health insurance. I have never heard of this company (thought it was only Life insurance). Does anyone have or know anything about this as an insurance carrier?

I currently have United Health Care and would like to use it as my supplement, but the Senior adviser is guiding me to Mutual of Omaha.

Any pros, cons or information would be appreciated, thanks.

d_ee is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 12-20-2018, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I kniw nothing about Mutual of Omaha medical insurance but I would do my homework instead of just relying on recommendation of the “senior advisor”. Asking here is a great start. Maybe his advice is right on but you need to completely understand what you are signing up for. An educated decision is always the best. Good luck!
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 12-20-2018, 08:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't know anything about the particular insurance. What I can say is that you are only locked into whatever you choose for a year. Next fall you can change your mind and switch if you want.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Assuming...
Old 12-21-2018, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am assuming the senior advisor who is talking with you is a member of your school district's HR dept. or contracted by the district's HR dept. to guide those moving to Medicare.

If you currently have United Health Care through your district, I am wondering why you could not get your supplemental insurance through them? This is definitely a question I would be asking this senior advisor. I am betting the cost or coverage between Mutual of Omaha and United Health Care might have something to do with it.

You have ample time left to investigate further. I would also suggest that you go to the Medicare website and read about the differences between Part B and Part C Medicare. The more informed you are, the better questions you will be able to ask.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

lacey2

Medicare
Old 12-21-2018, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My husband just went through the "medicare maze" last summer. He ended up taking regular medicare part B and bought a supplement with Mutual of Omaha. We learned that many insurance companies offer supplemental insurance, or "medigap", policies. However, the monthly premium varies greatly between companies, and even from state to state or even areas within a state. You'll need to do your homework to compare which supplemental policy has the best premium for you.

Also, there are plans within the medigap policies to choose from, with letters
A-K. They vary according to how much out of pocket you'll need to pay for medical services. We ended up with Plan G, which pays all out of pocket expenses except for the yearly Medicare Part B deductible.

As far as Mutual of Omaha, it had the best premium in our area and it was rated highly. My husband has not needed to use it yet (just started in Oct.)

I recommend looking at the Medicare.gov site, and also consulting with someone. We consulted with a woman in our area (Houston area) who writes a column about Medicare and offers help for a very reasonable fee. She has a website - you could google Toni Says to find it - and there are several questions and answers about various situations that might help.

It's very daunting making Medicare decisions, but with some research and help, it starts to make sense. Good luck with everything!

lacey2 is offline   Reply With Quote

d_ee

Medicare supplement
Old 12-21-2018, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Great advice!! Thank you all!!
d_ee is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Do lots of research
Old 12-21-2018, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have been given 3 different quotes: $240 $90 and $0 for the same insurance same coverage.

You need to consider co-pays as well as monthly premium. Also check the costs for the medications you take.

Make sure you can keep your current doctor if that is important to you.

Btw the quote from my school district advisor was the highest.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

jcbsmom

Medicare
Old 12-22-2018, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You read my mind d_ee, and you even did it on my birthday! . My husband and I will be at the Medicare table late next year and have been mulling over this issue. The replies from others has been very helpful. We will definitely be checking out Toni Says. Thank you again and Merry Christmas!
jcbsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

More things to think about
Old 12-22-2018, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm researching now also as I'll be ready in a year. Make sure your senior advisor has no ties to Mutual of Omaha. It may end up being the best choice, but trust no one when it comes to your money.

If you're senior advisor is employed by or advises the school district, be careful that they're not advising you away from the school district plan. My district pays some small percentage for the the Medicare Advantage Plan related to the district health plan for current employees. It may be in THEIR best interest for you to buy privately.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

lacey2

Something else to consider
Old 12-22-2018, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Make sure you know the difference between Medicare Advantage plans and Medicare supplement plans. Medicare Advantage plans are stand alone plans that often require you to use certain doctors. Medicare supplemental plans work with regular Medicare and you can use any doctor that takes Medicare.

The Mutual of Omaha plan my husband has is a Medicare supplement plan, not a Medicare Advantage plan.

lacey2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mermaid

Old 01-23-2019, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Check into AARP's offerings.
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote

2grade

Old 02-12-2019, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Get ready to be bombarded with mailings from various companies about Medicare coverage, Medicare Advantage coverage, and MediGap coverage.
Be advised that coverage details vary widely from state to state. Take time to carefully research what is best for your personal needs now and in the future.
2grade is offline   Reply With Quote