Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Facebook?

>

Toms

Facebook?
Old 07-21-2011, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone here use facebook to communicate with students/parents? I was thinking of setting up an account specifically for school, but I cannot figure out if I want to start a page or group.

Toms is offline   Reply With Quote

nanaof4

Fb
Old 07-21-2011, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would think twice before setting up these accounts. Some school districts forbid teachers friending students. Won't go into details, but a few teachers have lost their jobs because of FB.
nanaof4 is offline   Reply With Quote

sassymollasi

Fb
Old 07-21-2011, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I tried setting up a page just for students one time, but rarely checked it - I found the spelling errors, status updates of "I'm bored" and the games tedious. Then I felt bad because one girl had messaged me and I hadn't checked in two weeks. It kind of scared me because if it had been an emergency (For example: help me my step dad is_______ or I am so depressed______) I would have been liable.

I absolutely wont have students on my FB page because they really do spam your page and I dont want them in my business. That said, I teach sixth grade, if former students are upperclassmen at high school, or out of high school I DO friend them. I also friend any of my daughter's 15 year old friends that ask (some of them former students), just to keep on top of things.

As far as parents go, I often friend them... only the ones I like

Finally, you should google "teacher fired for facebook" there are a lot of cases out there. Lots of districts have social media policies - you should check.

This is one thread about FB... couldnt find the other one, but this has been discussed before.

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=337414
sassymollasi is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsb12247

Old 07-21-2011, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do, with my administrator's approval. Last year I had a page for my individual class, this year, we have a page for our pod. Parents LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

You can search Mrs. Baker's Social Studies class to see the page I used last year.
mrsb12247 is offline   Reply With Quote

cardinallady

Edmodo
Old 07-21-2011, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You might look into edmodo. It is very similiar to facebook, but designed for education purposes. It is much more secure. I'm planning on using it for the first time this year.

cardinallady is offline   Reply With Quote

sassymollasi

I agree
Old 07-21-2011, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I use Edmodo with my class, you can control it very easily!
sassymollasi is offline   Reply With Quote

Margaret619

Old 07-21-2011, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Oh Mrs. B, nice site...your facebook linked to your class site. Great ideas. Thank you for shairng.

Our school uses Facebook but not classrooms. Many of the older students "like" the school page and keep up to date on school info.

I think it's a great tool.

Personally, I don't "friend" any kids till they graduate.
Margaret619 is offline   Reply With Quote

GoneFisching

Facebook alternatives
Old 07-22-2011, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would recommend Emodo or something like this as well. Does your school provide a web site? There are also lots of free blog sites (Blogger, WordPress, etc.). That is where I communicate with parents and students.

I'm in TX and they have a state portal called Project Share that is supposed to be moving toward a sort of one-stop resource. I am going to try to use if for my PreAP this year since it has capabilities of blogging, blackboard, wikis, etc. If you're in TX, look up Project Share. Every educator in TX is supposed to have an account.

I have a policy that I don't friend students until they are 18 (if they still remember me). If I want online interaction, I try to find an education source apart from my personal FB. BTW, you can get around people's blocks with FB and end up in other areas...for example, a disgruntled parent could easily connect with others even when you set privacy filters. I have found they don't work as well as they should, so I don't think it is the most secure medium for professional interaction.

It was in the news not too long ago where a student took issue with something a teacher said on FB--she was "venting"--well it got her in a lot of hot water. What she said wasn't meant for students, but they apparently obtained access and it got very ugly for her. If I can keep my personal separate from professional online, I do. You may not think someone would be ugly now, but you never know who has claws until they come out.
GoneFisching is offline   Reply With Quote

travlnjen

FB alternative
Old 07-22-2011, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

another facebook alternative is schoology dot com

it looks exactly like facebook, students can join the classes you set up and parents get their own code...
travlnjen is offline   Reply With Quote