Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Test prep games or activities.

>

kbrown

Test prep games or activities.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our state testing is coming up and I would like to do some review/test-prep with my students. I was thinking about doing some sort of contest where table groups could work together to earn points daily, some sort of on-going contest. I have about 10 days to review and was wondering if anyone had any ideas or suggestions of games I could play or activates that I could do. It doesn't have to be the same game or activity every day, but it needs to be fun, engaging and something that the students will have actually WANT to do. I don't want to do Jeopardy because we do that for review all the time. Although the kids like it, they probably won't want to play for 10 days. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate!

kbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

mimi77

games
Old 01-19-2012, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I saw an idea on here recently I thought sounded like fun. You could put different review cards with Jenga blocks. (they said there was a generic set at dollar general for $2.99 or something like that).

You could write numbers on the jenga game pieces and they can score as they pull out the pieces as they answer a question correctly.
mimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

kbrown

thanks
Old 01-19-2012, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Great idea!
kbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Doc Dread

R U Tech Savy?
Old 01-21-2012, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you have access to one computer connected to an LCD (or SmartBoard), you can make your own learning video games. Really all you do is type in the questions/answers and the site generates games with your content such as: soccer, space invaders, who wants to be a billionaire, etc.

I one different student come up per question, while the rest of the class assists (each game has allows for 10 questions).

http://reviewgamezone.com/

Doc
Doc Dread is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsb12247

review games
Old 01-22-2012, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Buy a cheap basketball hoop at the toy store. Students are in groups of four. Ask one student from each team at a time a question, and if they get it correct, they get 5 points for their team, and a shot at basketball for an additional 5. They can use their team for help answering, but not for taking the shot. if they get the question wrong, they don't get to take a shot. My 7th graders LOVE this.

Another game they love is "risk it all". Make about 25 index cards weith various prizes and penalties (ie: win 50 points, win 100 points, take all the points from another team, lose 10 points, etc...) Same procedure; ask a student on each team a question (they can have help from their team). they get 1 point for answering the question, and then they have to decide if they want a card or not, they don't get to choose a card if they don't get it right. The fun part is the cards...knowing it could be a good or bad....it's great because teams can be winning one minute and in last place the next....they LOVE this one too...I make tons of cards and add silly things for random points as well.

Human Bingo: Create a bingo board with 25 questions. Students circulate and find the names of 25 people who can answer the questions, and each person has to sign their name that they can answer a specific question. After all their boards are full, play BINGO, and students only win if the people that are on their board in their winning BINGO can really answer the questions. Another option would just be regular BINGO: have them fill in the board with 25 answers in random spots, and then ask questions; play round robin, four corners, speed-bingo, etc...especially fun if their markers are something edible like M&Ms or Skittles.

mrsb12247 is offline   Reply With Quote