Help

Sixth Grade

dividing writer's notebook

>

Toms

dividing writer's notebook
Old 07-08-2013, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am attempting to keep trying writer's workshop with no in-service support. I would like to try to be more effecient at organizing my notebook and seperating it. I cannot find the thread or webpage about how the notebooks are split. Can anyone here give me some things they do?

Thanks

Toms is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Question
Old 07-08-2013, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are you talking about your own notebook/lesson plans or the kids' notebooks? What grade level do you teach? In primary, they don't use notebooks, everything goes into a folder and it gets cleaned out at the end of each unit.

In upper grades the notebook is for jotting down ideas and trying new strategies. They just write page by page, then they take an idea and transfer it to regular paper. They can use post it's like bookmarks if they are using an earlier idea.

I have never heard of dividing a notebook.

Does this help?
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Toms

Old 07-08-2013, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I read that some people divid their notebooks into 4 sections. One for grammar minilessons, another for something else, etc.
Toms is offline   Reply With Quote

jenstuff

Whatever
Old 07-14-2013, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've taught sixth grade for nine years now, and for what its worth, I've never done it the same way twice. Last year I had binders with - bellwork, reading & writing mini lessons, grammar, & vocab. I had a separate notebook for writing drafts. I've had as few as three and as many as five different sections. I've not yet found the silver bullet for organization at this age.
I did see and may try a version where ideas and drafting go one way in the composition book and the mini lessons start from the back (flipped upside down) so that they both stay organized. I guess what I'm trying to say is = pick a system and stick with it. There is no right or wrong.
jenstuff is offline   Reply With Quote