Help

Career Decisions

Starting Over

>

kbrown

Starting Over
Old 09-09-2014, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been teaching for 12 years, the last 7 have been at my current school. My husband just got a fantastic job opportunity at a University about an hour and a half away from me. We can not realistically commute for more than this year, so at the end of this school year we will be moving. I am taking this really hard as I feel like I will be starting over after 12 years. If I get a job in the town we are moving, they only accept up to 7 years of service so I will essentially be cutting my years of service in half. I will not be tenured, and I will be first to go if there are budget cuts. I've been through all this before, but when you are first starting out, it doesn't seem as daunting. Anyone have any advice for starting over this far into your career? It's just so hard to think about right now. Any encouragement would be greatly appreciated!

kbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

starting over
Old 09-09-2014, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Oh, I'm so sorry! This sounds bittersweet.

I have never been in that exact situation, but something similar. I switched from being a GE teacher to a school psych and ended up changing districts. Though I didn't have any years of school psych experience, they gave me credit for all of my teaching experience. I asked about this and they said they would get back to me...and it was good news! If you are hired, I say ask about your years. It doesn't hurt. I have heard of districts taking extra years if they choose to do so.

As for the tenure thing, it bugged me too, but I just had to get over it. I did the best I could my first year and was rehired. I know it's easier because I'm in SPED. I am hoping to get my tenure again this year!

Let me know if you have any questions. Best of luck!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

subteacher01

Would it be possible
Old 09-14-2014, 09:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

to move to the middle? Is there an approximate halfway point between the two jobs? I know a 45 minute commute isn't ideal but you'd get to keep your tenure and your years and the hubby can still take advatage of this wonderful job. I commute 30 minutes to sub and went almost an hour when I was teaching full time, and I actually liked it. The drive was long enough to get myself psyched in the morning and gave me time to wind down in the afternoons. I just made a playlist on my phone and sang myself to and from school.
subteacher01 is offline   Reply With Quote

pinkzebra0303

Old 10-14-2014, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think it's important to keep in mind that you've been teaching for 12 years and that's a huge accomplishment. If you think about in those 12 years how many children you've taught and minds you've molded, you've truly made a difference. At the end of the day if things don't end so good, yes it may hurt, but you did something huge in your life and that's something to celebrate.
pinkzebra0303 is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

I had to start over
Old 10-14-2014, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

and it's been difficult. I'm not going to sugar coat it.

My husband retired from the Army and my school closed. We relocated to our home state, but not to either one's hometown (by mutual agreement).

I was at my school for 25 years - twice as long as you have been teaching. I am on my third job since we moved. The first two did not work out. I took a large pay cut with this job since they would only pay me for 10 years of teaching experience.

If possible, I would look into being halfway between the two jobs. A 45 minute commute is not ideal, but doable.

I'm towards the end of my teaching career, but you could have many more years of teaching. I was on the fence after the last job, but my husband kind of influenced my decision to try one last position. Ask yourself if you can take the pay cut, or if you would be happier doing something else. Money isn't everything. What has been hardest for me is learning the logistics and community of each new school.

One thing I have discovered is that this is definitely my last teaching job. I know that with certainty now. Until you are certain, investigate all of the possibilities.

letsgomets is online now   Reply With Quote